Focus Features acquired U.S. distribution rights to the Lorene Scafaria-directed Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, which is Steve Carell’s first project since leaving The Office. He stars with Keira Knightley and shooting begins this month in L.A. The premise: the world is ending, and a man heads cross country to reunite with his school age girlfriend for their final days. A friend (Knightley) accompanies him on the road trip and complicates things. Scafaria wrote the script and Anonymous Content’s Steve Golin and Joy Gorman produce with Indian Paintbrush’s Steven Rales and Mark Roybal. The film’s co-financed by Indian Paintbrush and Mandate Pictures, with Mandate’s Nathan Kahane and Nicole Brown exec producing. Lionsgate is handling international sales on the pic.
Focus Features Buys Steve Carell Pic 'Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World'
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- MGM Nabs Hot Pitch 'Cop Swap'; Rematch With 'Hot Tub Time Machine' Helmer Steve Pink
- Rich Green Jumps To ICM Partners; Top Book-To-Film Rights Broker Leaves Resolution
- TPG Spends $225 Million In Deal That Ups Stake In CAA To 53%
- Lionsgate, Tribeca Team For Subscription VOD Launch
- Bart & Fleming: WB's Spandex OD; Ebola The Series; Neil Patrick Harris Near EGOT
- Netflix & Leonardo DiCaprio Team On 'Virunga' Documentary Release