Focus Features acquired U.S. distribution rights to the Lorene Scafaria-directed Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, which is Steve Carell’s first project since leaving The Office. He stars with Keira Knightley and shooting begins this month in L.A. The premise: the world is ending, and a man heads cross country to reunite with his school age girlfriend for their final days. A friend (Knightley) accompanies him on the road trip and complicates things. Scafaria wrote the script and Anonymous Content’s Steve Golin and Joy Gorman produce with Indian Paintbrush’s Steven Rales and Mark Roybal. The film’s co-financed by Indian Paintbrush and Mandate Pictures, with Mandate’s Nathan Kahane and Nicole Brown exec producing. Lionsgate is handling international sales on the pic.
Focus Features Buys Steve Carell Pic 'Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World'
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Last Jedi' Now Opening To $216M-$220M: How Disney Continues To Win With The 'Star Wars' Franchise
California Wildfires Spread: Thomas Fire Mandates Santa Barbara Evacs, Threatens Montecito Celebrity Homes
Director Terry Zwigoff Joins Peter Jackson, Mira Sorvino & Ashley Judd In Claiming Weinstein Blacklist; Hollywood Reacts
Latest Film News
- ‘The Room’ Filmmaker Tommy Wiseau Pitched Himself For Next ‘Star Wars’ Movie
- ‘Darkest Hour’ Is Gary Oldman’s “Man On A Mission” Movie
- Jake Gyllenhaal’s Fight To Mount ‘Stronger’ And Play A Real-Life Superhero
- Director Terry Zwigoff Joins Peter Jackson, Mira Sorvino & Ashley Judd In Claiming Weinstein Blacklist; Hollywood Reacts
- Paul Haggis Denies Rape Claims By Publicist; Calls It “Public Hanging”
- Warren Beatty’s ‘Rules Don’t Apply’ Faces $18M Lawsuit Over Poorly Performing Pic