Focus Features acquired U.S. distribution rights to the Lorene Scafaria-directed Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, which is Steve Carell’s first project since leaving The Office. He stars with Keira Knightley and shooting begins this month in L.A. The premise: the world is ending, and a man heads cross country to reunite with his school age girlfriend for their final days. A friend (Knightley) accompanies him on the road trip and complicates things. Scafaria wrote the script and Anonymous Content’s Steve Golin and Joy Gorman produce with Indian Paintbrush’s Steven Rales and Mark Roybal. The film’s co-financed by Indian Paintbrush and Mandate Pictures, with Mandate’s Nathan Kahane and Nicole Brown exec producing. Lionsgate is handling international sales on the pic.
Focus Features Buys Steve Carell Pic 'Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World'
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Patrick Carman Kids Book 'Floors' To Disney With Jason Filardi Writing
- Screen Gems Buys 'Pride And Prejudice And Zombies,' Pic Adds 'Game Of Thrones' Stars
- 'Rosie Project' Has Lord & Miller Circling To Helm Neustadter & Weber Script
- 'Divergent's Neil Burger To Helm Spy Thriller 'All The Old Knives'
- Don't We Want '70s-Style Adult Thrillers Like 'A Walk Among The Tombstones'? A Chat With Scott Frank
- Newbie Picture Company On The Case For 'Tracking Of A Russian Spy'