The bottom seems to have fallen out of the DVD market according to a startling report out this week from SNL Kagan. The research firm says that studio shipments of DVDs fell 43.8% to 226 million discs last year. Wholesale revenues fell about the same amount, 43.9%, to $4.47 billion. The study compared 415 titles released in 2010 to 352 in 2009. Helped by Avatar, Fox accounted for 13.6% of the 2010 wholesale revenues. That barely beat Warner, which had 13.5% of the market, closely followed by Disney with 13.4%. “Consumers are now opting to sign up for streaming and-or rental services such as Netflix,” analyst Wade Holden wrote. “They are using video-on-demand services more and more as they discover these services can be cost-effective.” His study did not look at sales of Blu-ray discs. It also doesn’t appear to square with the home video industry’s year-end data. DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group said that studios shipped “more than 1 billion DVD units” in 2010 as well as in 2009. DEG pegged total U.S. spending on DVD sales and rentals at $14 billion last year, down 11.4%. But with Blu-ray and digital, total home video spending was down 3.1% to $18.8%, it said.
DVD Disaster? Study Says Sales Plummeted In 2010, Contrary To Industry Report
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Goes Wild: 2nd Best Sunday $59M+; 3-Day $201M+; 4-Day To Shred 'Jurassic World' & Possibly 'Last Jedi'
Winter Olympics: Adam Rippon Turns Down NBC Correspondent Position, Net Struggles With Broadcast Gaffes — Update
BAFTA Awards: 'Three Billboards' Wins Best Film, Tops Night With Five Nods - The Complete Winners List
Latest Film News
- M.I.A & Ed Sheeran Films Drum Up Global Interest in Rock Docs – Berlin
- Idrissa Ouedraogo Dies: Noted Director Of African Film Was 64
- BAFTA Awards: ‘Three Billboards’ Stuns ‘Shape Of Water’ But Does This Mean Oscar Is Next?…
- History Is Already Written: Film Comedies Came Back In 2018
- Greenwich Entertainment Acquires Lorna Tucker Docu ‘Westwood: Punk, Icon, Activist’
- BAFTA Awards: ‘Three Billboards’ Wins Best Film, Tops Night With Five Nods – The Complete Winners List