Billionaire Carl Icahn suffered another setback today in his hostile takeover attempt of Lionsgate. The Court of Appeal for British Columbia upheld a lower court ruling that Lionsgate had acted appropriately last year when it allowed a lender to swap his debt for equity. Icahn charged that the move was designed to keep Lionsgate management entrenched by diluting his stake in the film and TV production company. But the Canadian courts agreed with Lionsgate that the transaction was prudent. The company did not have to “forego the opportunity to reduce Lionsgate’s debt by some $100 million in order to preserve the status quo for Icahn’s benefit,” the Court of Appeal said. Earlier, the New York Supreme Court rejected a similar charge by Icahn that Lionsgate’s debt-for-equity swap violated the company’s fiduciary responsibilities to its shareholders.
Carl Icahn Loses Again: Canadian Court OKs Lionsgate Effort To Thwart His Hostile Bid
What's Hot on Deadline
Sean Spicer Says Melissa McCarthy 'Saturday Night Live' Parody "Funny"; Sean Hannity Reminds Him It's Not
'Justice League' Trailer: Wonder Woman Saves School Children, But Is Superman Still Alive? - Comic-Con
'Marvel's The Defenders' Stuns Fans With Debut Episode Screening & New Trailer For Netflix Series - Comic-Con
From ‘Fauda’s Assaf Bernstein On ‘Rose Madder' To ‘The Shining’ Onstage: What’s Behind Stephen King’s Hollywood Renaissance?
Comic-Con: 'Outlander' EP Ronald D Moore Talks Seasons 3 & 4, Diana Gabaldon, 'Battlestar Galactica' & The Changing SDCC
Latest Film News
- Charlize Theron Champions Female Directors & More Pics Like ‘Wonder Woman’ – Comic-Con
- Warner Bros. Confirms DC Universe Pic Titles: ‘Wonder Woman II’, ‘Flashpoint’ & More…
- Sony Options Female-Empowerment Comic ‘Princeless’ For Movie – Comic-Con
- Pamela Adlon Joins Cast Of ‘Transformers’ Spinoff ‘Bumblebee’
- ‘Justice League’ Trailer: Wonder Woman Saves School Children, But Is Superman Still Alive? – Comic-Con
- Ben Affleck Refutes ‘Batman’ Exit Rumor: “So Thrilled To Do It” – Comic-Con