EXCLUSIVE: Ryan Gosling is set to star and direct a remake of the 1980 movie The Idolmaker for MGM. It would be the Oscar-nominated actor’s directorial debut. Idolmaker, directed by Taylor Hackford, starred Ray Sharkey in a story about the life of rock promoter/producer Bob Marcucci, who discovered Frankie Avalon and Fabian. Gosling — in Cannes this week for the premiere of the competition film Drive, co-starring Carey Mulligan and directed by Nicolas Winding Refn — has been shifting his focus from indies to more mainstream fare of late. He’s co-starring alongside Steve Carell in Warner Bros’ Crazy, Stupid, Love, which opens July 29, and he is starring in Logan’s Run and Gangster Squad, Warner Bros’ big Will Beall-scripted crime drama that also will star Sean Penn and Josh Brolin.
Cannes: Ryan Gosling To Star In & Direct Remake Of 'The Idolmaker'
What's Hot on Deadline
Natalie Portman, Nicholas Hoult & Thandie Newton Board Xavier Dolan's 'The Death And Life Of John F. Donovan' - Berlin
Amy Schumer Takes Serious Turn In 'Thank You For Your Service;' PTSD Drama By 'American Sniper' Scribe Jason Hall
Latest Film News
- FilmNation Boards Alex Gibney’s ‘Zero Days’; James Purefoy Has ‘Interlude In Prague’ – Berlin…
- Pinewood Considering Sale As It Explores Strategic Alternatives To Current Expansion Plans
- YouTube Red Unveils New Projects As Service Goes Live
- Paddy Considine And Producer Diarmid Scrimshaw Re-Teaming On ‘Journeyman’, StudioCanal To Release in UK- Berlin
- Lionsgate UK Acquires Luc Besson’s Sci-Fi Epic ‘Valerian’- Berlin
- Oscar Bait Fassbender-Vikander Film ‘The Light Between Oceans’ Dated For Next Awards Season