EXCLUSIVE: Ryan Gosling is set to star and direct a remake of the 1980 movie The Idolmaker for MGM. It would be the Oscar-nominated actor’s directorial debut. Idolmaker, directed by Taylor Hackford, starred Ray Sharkey in a story about the life of rock promoter/producer Bob Marcucci, who discovered Frankie Avalon and Fabian. Gosling — in Cannes this week for the premiere of the competition film Drive, co-starring Carey Mulligan and directed by Nicolas Winding Refn — has been shifting his focus from indies to more mainstream fare of late. He’s co-starring alongside Steve Carell in Warner Bros’ Crazy, Stupid, Love, which opens July 29, and he is starring in Logan’s Run and Gangster Squad, Warner Bros’ big Will Beall-scripted crime drama that also will star Sean Penn and Josh Brolin.
Cannes: Ryan Gosling To Star In & Direct Remake Of 'The Idolmaker'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Dunkirk' To See Weekend Victory Of $55M+; 'Girls Trip' Hot At $27M+; 'Valerian' Falling To Earth With $16M
Sean Spicer Resigns As Anthony Scaramucci Named White House Communications Director; Trump Lauds "His Great Television Ratings"
Comic-Con: 'Outlander' EP Ronald D Moore Talks Seasons 3 & 4, Diana Gabaldon, 'Battlestar Galactica' & The Changing SDCC
Latest Film News
- ‘The Gift’: Patrick Stewart, Katie Holmes & Giancarlo Esposito Wrapping In Montreal
- ‘Shot Caller’ Review: ‘Game Of Thrones’ Star Nikolaj Coster-Waldau Plays A Game Of Survival In Gripping…
- Blumhouse & Todd McFarlane Team For ‘Spawn’ Movie – Comic-Con
- From 'Fauda's Assaf Bernstein On 'Rose Madder’ To 'The Shining' Onstage: What's Behind Stephen King's…
- ‘Dunkirk’ To See Weekend Victory Of $55M+; ‘Girls Trip’ Hot At $27M+; ‘Valerian’ Falling To Earth…
- Nicole Ari Parker To Star In Indie Comedy ‘Headshop’