EXCLUSIVE: Ryan Gosling is set to star and direct a remake of the 1980 movie The Idolmaker for MGM. It would be the Oscar-nominated actor’s directorial debut. Idolmaker, directed by Taylor Hackford, starred Ray Sharkey in a story about the life of rock promoter/producer Bob Marcucci, who discovered Frankie Avalon and Fabian. Gosling — in Cannes this week for the premiere of the competition film Drive, co-starring Carey Mulligan and directed by Nicolas Winding Refn — has been shifting his focus from indies to more mainstream fare of late. He’s co-starring alongside Steve Carell in Warner Bros’ Crazy, Stupid, Love, which opens July 29, and he is starring in Logan’s Run and Gangster Squad, Warner Bros’ big Will Beall-scripted crime drama that also will star Sean Penn and Josh Brolin.
Cannes: Ryan Gosling To Star In & Direct Remake Of 'The Idolmaker'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Pretty Little Liars' Series Finale & Aftershow: "A.D." Mystery Solved; Cast Would Say Yes To Reunion - Update
'This Is Us': Alexandra Breckenridge, & Jon Huertas Upped To Series Regulars For Season 2 Of NBC Drama
'Hello Again' Trailer: Rumer Willis, T.R. Knight, Martha Plimpton And Audra McDonald In A Rondelay Of Passion
Latest Film News
- SAG-AFTRA Members Tout “Solidarity” After Informational Meeting
- CAA Signs Oscar- & Emmy-Winning Writer-Director Aaron Sorkin
- ‘My Little Pony’ Trailer: There’s Trouble In Ponyville, But The Mane 6 Are On The Case
- SAG-AFTRA Briefs Agents On Contract Talks Amid Strike Threat
- Terry Zwigoff Signs With ICM Partners
- Shaun Grant To Adapt ‘Penguin Bloom’; Naomi Watts To Star