EXCLUSIVE: Ryan Gosling is set to star and direct a remake of the 1980 movie The Idolmaker for MGM. It would be the Oscar-nominated actor’s directorial debut. Idolmaker, directed by Taylor Hackford, starred Ray Sharkey in a story about the life of rock promoter/producer Bob Marcucci, who discovered Frankie Avalon and Fabian. Gosling — in Cannes this week for the premiere of the competition film Drive, co-starring Carey Mulligan and directed by Nicolas Winding Refn — has been shifting his focus from indies to more mainstream fare of late. He’s co-starring alongside Steve Carell in Warner Bros’ Crazy, Stupid, Love, which opens July 29, and he is starring in Logan’s Run and Gangster Squad, Warner Bros’ big Will Beall-scripted crime drama that also will star Sean Penn and Josh Brolin.
Cannes: Ryan Gosling To Star In & Direct Remake Of 'The Idolmaker'
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Jeremy Lovering To Helm Sony Horror Pic 'The Bringing,' Inspired By Cecil Hotel
- Sony Pictures Taps 'Iron Man 3′ Helmer Shane Black To Direct 'The Destroyer'
- Miramax Films Bolsters Funding
- Akiva Goldsman Circling 'Ring 3′ Rewrite
- Patrick Warburton Back For 'Ted' Sequel
- Stork Visit For Milla Jovovich Postpones 'Resident Evil 6′