Phase 4 Films has acquired domestic rights to Another Happy Day, writer-director Sam Levinson’s dark comedy about a dysfunctional family that won the Waldo Salt Screenwriting Award at this year’s Sundance Film Festival. The film — starring Ellen Barkin, Demi Moore, Kate Bosworth, Thomas Haden Church, Ezra Miller and Ellen Burstyn — is set to go out in the fall, with the theatrical release spearheaded by industry veteran David Dinerstein. In the film, high-strung Lynn (Barkin) and her troubled grown children (Bosworth, Miller) journey deep into the heart of domestic darkness to attend the wedding of her estranged eldest son. “Another Happy Day had Sundance audiences both laughing and crying in equal proportions,” said Phase 4 president and CEO Berry Meyerowitz. “The film marks Sam Levinson’s bold arrival as a filmmaker and Ellen Barkin delivers a remarkable performance. People will connect with this insightful look into the messy dynamics of the modern family.” Barkin produced with Mandalay Vision’s Celine Rattray, Todd Traina, Johnny Lin, Michael Nardelli, Salli Newman, and Pamela Fielder. The deal was negotiated by Larry Greenberg, SVP Acquisitions for Phase 4 Films, and Michelle Hastings at Mandalay with CAA on behalf of the filmmakers.
Cannes: 'Another Happy Day' For Phase 4
What's Hot on Deadline
M Night Shyamalan Unveils 'Glass': 'Unbreakable' & 'Split' Sequel To Star Bruce Willis, Samuel L Jackson, James McAvoy
DC Digital Service To Launch With 'Titans' Series From Greg Berlanti & Akiva Goldsman And 'Young Justice: Outsiders'
Mindy Kaling & 3 Arts Option Alyssa Mastromonaco White House Memoir 'Who Thought This Was A Good Idea?' For TV
Latest Film News
- California Bill To Boost Funding For Hollywood Job Training Passes Committee
- Studios & WGA Can’t Even Agree On Lost Revenues From Last Strike
- ‘Psychopaths’ Helmer Mickey Keating On His Altman-esque Approach To Horror — Tribeca Studio
- Tom Hanks, Jodie Foster, David Byrne, Meryl Streep Remember Jonathan Demme
- Nicolas Cage Breaks Ankle On Movie Set In Bulgaria
- ‘Dog Years’: Adam Rifkin Was Only Going To Make His Latest Movie With Burt Reynolds In The Lead Role…