UPDATED: What an appropriate title this turned out to be! Despite soft ratings for its midseason freshman run, ABC’s comedy Happy Endings will come back next season after the network just renewed it. This is not a surprise as the ensemble relationship comedy has had big support internally at the network. But while the Happy Endings producers at Sony TV are celebrating, the renewal was not good news for Fox’s newly picked up comedy series New Girl starring Zooey Deschanel. Damon Wayons Jr. was one of the co-stars in the pilot (I hear he was quite good in it), but his casting was in second position to Happy Endings, where he is also one of the leads. Now he will return to the ABC series, and the 20th TV-produced New Girl will to recast his role. UPDATE: As a commenter pointed out, Happy Endings‘ co-star Adam Pally also did a pilot in second position, NBC’s BFFs, which also will have to recast his role. The dangers of second-position casting …
ABC Renews 'Happy Endings', Fox's 'New Girl' To Recast Damon Wayans Jr.
What's Hot on Deadline
Hollywood Cowardice: George Clooney Explains Why Sony Stood Alone In North Korean Cyberterror Attack
Obama: Sony Made Mistake Pulling 'The Interview'; U.S. Will Respond Proportionally At Time And Place We Choose -- Update
Sony Responds To President Obama's Criticism: "We Had No Choice," Still Hope To Release 'The Interview'
'The Interview' Release Would Have Damaged Kim Jong Un Internally, Says Rand Expert Who Saw Movie At Sony's Request
More From Andreeva
- Veronica Osorio Inks Talent Deal With Fox
- ABC Buys FBI Drama Produced By Jordan Kerner
- David Schwimmer To Play Robert Kardashian In FX's 'American Crime Story: People Vs. O.J.'
- Sarah Jessica Parker Poised To Star In HBO Divorce Comedy Pilot
- Ernie Hudson To Play Poseidon On 'Once Upon a Time'
- Christina Aguilera-Produced Dramedy, Twitter-Based Comedy, Shakespeare-Themed Drama On Prospect Park's Slate