UPDATED: What an appropriate title this turned out to be! Despite soft ratings for its midseason freshman run, ABC’s comedy Happy Endings will come back next season after the network just renewed it. This is not a surprise as the ensemble relationship comedy has had big support internally at the network. But while the Happy Endings producers at Sony TV are celebrating, the renewal was not good news for Fox’s newly picked up comedy series New Girl starring Zooey Deschanel. Damon Wayons Jr. was one of the co-stars in the pilot (I hear he was quite good in it), but his casting was in second position to Happy Endings, where he is also one of the leads. Now he will return to the ABC series, and the 20th TV-produced New Girl will to recast his role. UPDATE: As a commenter pointed out, Happy Endings‘ co-star Adam Pally also did a pilot in second position, NBC’s BFFs, which also will have to recast his role. The dangers of second-position casting …
ABC Renews 'Happy Endings', Fox's 'New Girl' To Recast Damon Wayans Jr.
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- CBS Buys Medical Drama From Sarah Watson & Jason Katims As Put Pilot
- Amblin TV Preps 'Minority Report' Series With 'Godzilla' Writer
- GSN Renews 'It Takes A Church' & 'The Chase'
- WE TV Orders 'Sex Box' Series About Couples Having & Discussing Sex
- Comedy Writer Lindsey Shockley Inks Overall Deal With ABC Studios
- RATINGS RAT RACE: 'Big Brother' & 'Penn & Teller: Fool Us' Perk Up, 'SYTYCD' Slips