UPDATED: What an appropriate title this turned out to be! Despite soft ratings for its midseason freshman run, ABC’s comedy Happy Endings will come back next season after the network just renewed it. This is not a surprise as the ensemble relationship comedy has had big support internally at the network. But while the Happy Endings producers at Sony TV are celebrating, the renewal was not good news for Fox’s newly picked up comedy series New Girl starring Zooey Deschanel. Damon Wayons Jr. was one of the co-stars in the pilot (I hear he was quite good in it), but his casting was in second position to Happy Endings, where he is also one of the leads. Now he will return to the ABC series, and the 20th TV-produced New Girl will to recast his role. UPDATE: As a commenter pointed out, Happy Endings‘ co-star Adam Pally also did a pilot in second position, NBC’s BFFs, which also will have to recast his role. The dangers of second-position casting …
ABC Renews 'Happy Endings', Fox's 'New Girl' To Recast Damon Wayans Jr.
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Goes Wild: 2nd Best Sunday $60M+; 3-Day $201M+; 4-Day To Shred 'Jurassic World' & Possibly 'Last Jedi'
Olympic Curling Medalist From Russia Busted For Doping; Wardrobe Malfunction Leaves French Ice Dancer Exposed
Roy Wood Jr. To Star In Parole Officer Comedy From Trevor Noah & Aaron McGruder In Works At Comedy Central
Latest TV News
- ‘Bad Banks’ Big Berlin Biz; ‘Das Boot’ Wraps; Cineflix Boards U.S. Content – Global Briefs
- 21st Century Fox Doubles Down On “Firewall Remedies” As It Looks To Push Through Sky Deal
- ‘Luther’, ‘Mistresses’ & ‘Life On Mars’ Getting Korean Remakes – BBC Showcase
- Fox News Launching Standalone Subscription Service Fox Nation
- SAG-AFTRA Closes “Wigging” Probe, Says It “Remains Committed” To Ending Practice Of Men Doubling…
- Fergie Apologizes For NBA All-Star Game National Anthem That “Didn’t Strike The Intended Tone”