EXCLUSIVE: Ving Rhames has been tapped to play the title character in Comedy Central’s pilot Black Jack, lifting the contingency on the project. The single-camera comedy, directed and executive produced by Pineapple Express helmer David Gordon Green, hails from Rough House, Green’s production company with Danny McBride, Jody Hill and Matt Reilly. Written by Michael Starrbury, it centers on Black Jack (Rhames) who, after 20 years as the most kick-ass special ops agent the US government has had on its payroll, finally goes too far and is de-commissioned. Comedy Central picked up the pilot last month contingent on finding the right actor for the lead. Green, Starrbury, McBride, Hill and Reilly are exec producing. This is the second time Rhames, repped by Innovative and Kramer Management, would play the title role in a series, following his starring turn on USA’s Kojak remake in 2005. He also played the title character in the 1997 HBO biopic Don King: Only in America, which earned him a Golden Globe win and an Emmy nomination. In features, he is best known for his roles in Mission: Impossible and Pulp Fiction.
Ving Rhames To Star In Comedy Central's 'Black Jack', Lifts Pilot's Contingency
What's Hot on Deadline
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Sony Pictures Confirms Quentin Tarantino Deal; Margot Robbie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio Circling
Actress Accuses 'Girls' EP Murray Miller Of Sexual Assault; Showrunners Lena Dunham & Jenni Konner Defend Him - Update
Latest TV News
- ‘Transparent’ Creator Jill Soloway Won’t Discuss Jeffrey Tambor Scandal, Advocates Anti-Harassment…
- Saoirse Ronan To Host ‘Saturday Night Live’, With Musical Guest U2
- ‘SNL’: Trump Boys Inherit Dad-Free Spot With “Juilliard Massage” Of “RickiLakes”
- ‘Stranger Things’: Duffer Brothers And Cast Reflect On Season 2, Keep Tight-Lipped On Season 3
- ‘Parks & Rec’ Mike Schur Says “Everybody Knew About Kevin Spacey”; ‘Leftovers’ Damon Lindelof Regrets…
- Lena Dunham Apologizes For Murray Miller Defense Amid Assault Allegations