The American Idol voting public does not like women contestants. How else to explain that a field of seven female and six male finalists on Fox’s Idol has now been whittled down to only two women and the same six men? All five eliminated contestants so far have been gals. The judges saved the only endangered male contestant. But the voting is so heavily skewed in the male singers’ favor that the voting results can’t possibly be random. Especially after tonight’s shocker elimination of frontrunner Pia Toscano. I wish Nigel Lythgoe & Co could declare the two remaining females an endangered species and grant them immunity for a few rounds to achieve a better gender balance on the show. And while that, of course, can’t happen, the producers should at least keep the gals away from the opening slot on performance night, which often sends singers to the Bottom 3. Yes, democracy is great, but maybe a little affirmative action here won’t hurt. And above all, female voters should try to support their own. Feel free to disagree with me.
Why Are 'Idol' Female Singers Vanishing?
What's Hot on Deadline
'Tomorrowland,' 'Pitch Perfect' Compete As 'Mad Max' Holds Strong; 'Ultron' To Cross $400M - Box Office Friday
TLC "Deeply Saddened" As It Pulls All Episodes of '19 Kids And Counting' In Wake Of Child Molestation Allegations - Update
'Jurassic World' Tracking Like 'Man Of Steel' - But How Many $100M+ Openings After That In Summer 2015?
Latest TV News
- Marty Pasetta Dies: Longtime Director Of Academy Awards Telecasts Was 82
- ‘X-Factor’ Producers Hit With $2M Lawsuit By Contestant; Says Performance Was “Altered”
- Showrunner Jennie Snyder Urman On Almost Passing On ‘Jane The Virgin’, Pace, Title Change & How Will It End
- ‘Fuller’ Brush-Off: Olsens Won’t Head Home For ‘Full House’ Sequel
- Melissa McCarthy Staying At CAA
- UP Orders ‘Last Hope With Troy Dunn’ To Series