Stephen K. Friedman has been promoted to president of MTV. He had previously served as General Manager, a position he held since the fall of 2008. In this role, Friedman oversees MTV, MTV2, mtvU, MTV.com, MTV Hits and MTV Jams. “Since Stephen took over the helm at MTV 2½ years ago, he has done an incredible job helping spearhead the reinvention of the MTV brand for millenials,” said Van Toffler, President, MTV Networks Music & Logo Group. During Friedman’s tenure, MTV has posted five consecutive quarters of growth during which the network has launched such hit series as Jersey Shore, Teen Mom, 16 & Pregnant, The World of Jenks and Life as Liz, along with making a foray into scripted with The Hard Times of R.J. Berger. Before being named General Manager of MTV, Friedman was the GM of mtvU, the channel catering to college students that he helped launch in 2004. He joined MTV in 1998 to found MTV’s Strategic Partnerships and Public Affairs department, during which he created the Emmy Award-winning Fight for Your Rights campaigns, along with helping manage the political campaign Choose or Lose.
Stephen Friedman Upped To MTV President
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Goes Wild: 2nd Best Sunday $60M+; 3-Day $201M+; 4-Day To Shred 'Jurassic World' & Possibly 'Last Jedi'
Winter Olympics: Adam Rippon Turns Down NBC Correspondent Position, Net Struggles With Broadcast Gaffes — Update
Olympic Curling Medalist From Russia Busted For Doping; Wardrobe Malfunction Leaves French Ice Dancer Exposed
Latest TV News
- Fergie Apologizes For NBA All-Star Game National Anthem That “Didn’t Strike The Intended Tone”
- Donald Trump Will Attend This Year’s Gridiron Dinner; Still A “Maybe” On White House Correspondents Dinner
- David Parfitt Accuses Harvey Weinstein Of Assaulting Him On ‘My Week With Marilyn’
- NBA All-Star Game Scores In Ratings For TNT & TBS
- Olympic Curling Medalist From Russia Busted For Doping; Wardrobe Malfunction Leaves French Ice Dancer Exposed
- Major League Baseball Makes Pitch To Speed Up Games