Stephen K. Friedman has been promoted to president of MTV. He had previously served as General Manager, a position he held since the fall of 2008. In this role, Friedman oversees MTV, MTV2, mtvU, MTV.com, MTV Hits and MTV Jams. “Since Stephen took over the helm at MTV 2½ years ago, he has done an incredible job helping spearhead the reinvention of the MTV brand for millenials,” said Van Toffler, President, MTV Networks Music & Logo Group. During Friedman’s tenure, MTV has posted five consecutive quarters of growth during which the network has launched such hit series as Jersey Shore, Teen Mom, 16 & Pregnant, The World of Jenks and Life as Liz, along with making a foray into scripted with The Hard Times of R.J. Berger. Before being named General Manager of MTV, Friedman was the GM of mtvU, the channel catering to college students that he helped launch in 2004. He joined MTV in 1998 to found MTV’s Strategic Partnerships and Public Affairs department, during which he created the Emmy Award-winning Fight for Your Rights campaigns, along with helping manage the political campaign Choose or Lose.
Stephen Friedman Upped To MTV President
What's Hot on Deadline
Bravo Unveils Unscripted Slate With 6 New & 18 Returning Series; More 'Real Housewives' & 'Vanderpump Rules'
M Night Shyamalan Unveils 'Glass': 'Unbreakable' & 'Split' Sequel To Star Bruce Willis, Samuel L Jackson, James McAvoy
Mindy Kaling & 3 Arts Option Alyssa Mastromonaco White House Memoir 'Who Thought This Was A Good Idea?' For TV
Latest TV News
- ‘Z: The Beginning Of Everything’ Renewed For Season 2 By Amazon
- Sean Hannity Could Leave Fox News If Murdochs Don’t Back Besieged Co-Prez Bill Shine
- ‘Dear White People’ Review: TV Series Based Movie Is Funny & Moving
- ‘Bachelor’ Alum Chris Soules’ Lawyers Insist He Didn’t Leave Scene Of Fatal Accident
- BET Greenlights New Series From Kevin Hart, Steve Harvey, Wanda Sykes & More – Upfronts
- Warner Bros. TV Ups Peter Girardi To Dual EVP Roles