Katie Couric, do you want your old job back? While media attention has been focused on Couric’s pending departure from CBS Evening News, the anchor who succeeded her on Today, Meredith Vieira, is reportedly plotting an exit too. According to TVGuide Magazine, NBC News brass are still hopeful they would get the 57-year-old Vieira to stay beyond September, when her current contract expires, but chances appear slim. When Vieira’s previous multi-year contract with Today was up last year, she only agreed to a one-year extension. And, after going outside to replace Couric in 2006, NBC may stick with homegrown talent this time, like Ann Curry or Natalie Morales. As for Vieira, she has discussed the possibly of leaving Today fairly recently. “I’ll know when it’s time to go, and I’m not afraid to go,” Vieira said in an interview last October. “If I were to leave at the end of next year because it’s time for me, I wouldn’t jump into another show. I would look forward to not working, to traveling with (husband) Richard and carving out time for us. You’re always doing something, if you are curious. It doesn’t have to be a 9-to-5 job.” She recently found a new career as a movie producer with the upcoming Return. Vieira also continues to host the syndicated version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, a gig she got as part of a contract renewal for The View at ABC, where she served as co-host from 1997 to 2006. NBC News issued a carefully worded statement that, while accurate, doesn’t actually address Vieira’s future on Today: “The Today show anchors are currently under contract and firmly in place.” Meanwhile, Vieira and Couric will rub elbows in London at the end of the month when the two will lead NBC and CBS’ coverage of the Royal Wedding.
Meredith Vieira Poised To Exit 'Today'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Dancing With The Stars' Season 23 Will See Return Of Pros Julianne & Derek Hough, Maksim Chmerkovskiy
James Corden On The Fruits Of 'Carpool Karaoke', The Internet And Those Emmy Nominations - AwardsLine
Latest TV News
- 49ers QB Colin Kaepernick Refuses To Stand For National Anthem: “There Are Bodies In The Street”
- Don Cheadle To Trump After Dwyane Wade Comment: “You Truly Are A POS”
- Telemundo Responds To SAG-AFTRA’s Accusation Of Censorship For Not Airing Ad Critical Of NBCUniversal
- ‘Adam Ruins Everything’ Including The Oscars – With A Little Help From Pete Hammond
- AT&T, HBO Ink All-Platform Content Deal; Programming Set For OTT Service
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ Season 23 Will See Return Of Pros Julianne & Derek Hough, Maksim Chmerkovskiy