Mary McDonnell, who has been recurring on TNT’s The Closer, is joining the cast of the crime drama’s extended seventh and final season as a regular, TVLine reports. She will reprise her role as Captain Sharon Raydor. TNT is planning to continue The Closer, likely via a spinoff titled Major Crimes, which would feature some of the series’ current cast members, so McDonnell’s timely promotion is sure to open up speculation that she may be groomed to succeed departing star Kyra Sedgwick as the franchise’s next leading lady.
Mary McDonnell Joins TNT's 'The Closer' As Regular, Is Lead Role In The Spinoff Next?
What's Hot on Deadline
Film Independent Spirit Award Nominations Announced: 'Carol', 'Spotlight', 'Beasts Of Nation' Come Up Strong
CW's 'DC's Legends Of Tomorrow', 'The 100', Get Premiere Dates, 'Vampire Diaries', 'The Originals' Move To Friday
Latest TV News
- College Sex Scandal Drama From Jessica Mecklenburg & Rod Lurie Lands At NBC
- The Sony Hack One Year Later: Just Who Are The Guardians Of Peace?
- David Canary Dies: ‘All My Children’ Star Was 77
- ‘Superstore’ Review: America Ferrera NBC Comedy Proves Big Not Better
- ‘Quantico’ Adds Three Recurring To Cast
- Freeform/ABC Family Sets Winter Premieres For New, Returning Shows