Less than a week after a report surfaced that Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt arranged for a $30 million personal loan from TV partner Fox to help pay the team’s bills, Major League Baseball owner Bud Selig said today that the league is taking over financial control of the franchise. He said he will appoint a representative to run the day-to-day business. “The Dodgers have been one of the most prestigious franchises in all of sports, and we owe it to their legion of loyal fans to ensure that this club is being operated properly now and will be guided appropriately in the future,” Selig said Wednesday in a statement, adding that he has “deep concerns regarding the finances and operations of the Dodgers.” Frank and Jamie McCourt are in the midst of a messy divorce that has thrown the team’s financial future into doubt. A new long-term TV deal with Fox that the Times’ Bill Shaikin reported could be in the neighborhood of $3 billion over 20 years would go along way to stabilizing things at Chavez Ravine, and McCourt recently took the offer to Selig, who already had rejected a proposed $200 million loan to McCourt from Fox using the future TV contract as collateral.
Major League Baseball To Take Over Dodgers After News Of Loan From Fox
What's Hot on Deadline
Sean Spicer Says Melissa McCarthy 'Saturday Night Live' Parody "Funny"; Sean Hannity Reminds Him It's Not
'Justice League' Trailer: Wonder Woman Saves School Children, But Is Superman Still Alive? - Comic-Con
'Marvel's The Defenders' Stuns Fans With Debut Episode Screening & New Trailer For Netflix Series - Comic-Con
From ‘Fauda’s Assaf Bernstein On ‘Rose Madder' To ‘The Shining’ Onstage: What’s Behind Stephen King’s Hollywood Renaissance?
Comic-Con: 'Outlander' EP Ronald D Moore Talks Seasons 3 & 4, Diana Gabaldon, 'Battlestar Galactica' & The Changing SDCC
Latest TV News
- ‘Stranger Things’ Season 2 Trailer Goes All “Thriller” + Tease Kicks Off Comic-Con Panel
- 'Wynonna Earp' Renewed For Season 3 On Syfy – Comic-Con
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Debuts New Trailer, Adds Wilson Cruz, Composer Jeff Russo to Starfleet —Comic-Con
- ‘Happy!’: Patton Oswalt Set To Voice Title Character In Syfy Series, Replacing Bobby Moynihan
- ‘The Originals’ Season 5 Teaser: First Look At Teenage Hope In Final Season — Comic-Con
- ‘Lucifer’: Tom Welling Joins Season 3 Cast Of Fox Drama Series; New Footage Unveiled