Lionsgate has committed to making Night of the Living Fred, a small budget 3D film that is a followup to Fred: The Movie. That telepic racked up high ratings for Nickelodeon last fall. The protagonist, Fred Figgelhorn, is a fast-talking, hyperactive character created and played by teen actor Lucas Cruikshank, originally in a series of YouTube videos. He’s got his own “Fred” channel, which has over 2 million subscribers. Lionsgate will control North American distribution and sell international. John Fortenberry is directing the film, which has just gotten underway in LA. David A. Goodman wrote the script (he wrote the other Fred flick). Varsity Pictures’ Brian Robbins and Sharla Sumpter Bridgett are producing with Gary Binkow and Evan Weiss of The Collective. Here’s one of the kid’s YouTube videos. He sounds a bit like Eric Cartman to me. This is obviously geared for a generation far younger than mine, but I’d be lucky to get through 15 minutes of this manic high-pitched energy before praying for a swift death. Am I being unreasonable?
Lionsgate Pacts 3D 'Night Of The Living Fred' With YouTube Fave Lucas Cruikshank
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- 'Rosie Project' Has Lord & Miller Circling To Helm Neustadter & Weber Script
- 'Divergent's Neil Burger To Helm Spy Thriller 'All The Old Knives'
- Don't We Want '70s-Style Adult Thrillers Like 'A Walk Among The Tombstones'? A Chat With Scott Frank
- Newbie Picture Company On The Case For 'Tracking Of A Russian Spy'
- Hamptons Fest Gets 'St. Vincent' Opener; Now They Pray For St. Bill
- Bryan Cranston In 'The Great Wall' Talks