UK had the hottest Easter weekend box office in 62 years, with Universal’s Fast Five grossing $8.8 million (£5,332,096) in its opening weekend — the biggest debut to date for the franchise — to become Britain’s No. 1 film. The UK opening was also the biggest of the Fast franchise to date, surpassing the £4.92M of the previous fourth installment Fast & Furious. Opening across 437 UK sites, it delivered an average of £12,201 per screen and beat competition from Warner Bros’ Arthur, starring Brit lead Russell Brand (in third place after Fox’s Rio in second). Elsewhere internationally, including previews (up to and including Sunday), Fast Five’s opening also fared well across Australia ($10.3M — the biggest-ever Universal opening) Korea ($3.4M) and New Zealand ($870K). Overall, up to and including Monday April 25, the film took a total of $27.8M across the four territories — and was No. 1 for all four markets. Like Rio and Thor recently, Fast Five opened first overseas. It releases in North America this Friday.
'Fast Five' Opens #1 In Britain With $8.8M
What's Hot on Deadline
'Thursday Night Football' Ratings Down From Thanksgiving 2016, Macy's Parade Steady, 'Young Sheldon' Up
Pete Hammond's Notes On The Season: 'Wonder' Makes Awards Play; 'Dunkirk' Storms The Q&A Circuit; Netflix Sends A Pig To Voters
Uma Thurman To Harvey Weinstein: "I'm Glad It's Going Slowly, You Don't Deserve A Bullet... Stay Tuned"
Latest Film News
- ‘Coco’ Cooking $71M+; ‘Justice League’ At $59M+; ‘Wonder’ Wows At $31M+: Black…
- Pete Hammond’s Notes On The Season: ‘Wonder’ Makes Awards Play; ‘Dunkirk’ Storms The Q&A Circuit; Netflix Sends A Pig…
- Kumail Nanjiani On How A Pitch To Judd Apatow About A Ghost Witch Movie Begat ‘The Big Sick’ – The…
- Exhibition Stocks Rise In Short Trading Session On Holiday Box Office Optimism
- ‘Arthur Miller: Writer’ Helmer Rebecca Miller Discusses Her Doc Portrait Of Father Arthur Miller
- Denis Villeneuve On His Love Of Sci-Fi, Working With Ridley Scott On ‘Blade Runner 2049’ & Revisiting ‘Dune’ – Behind…