UK had the hottest Easter weekend box office in 62 years, with Universal’s Fast Five grossing $8.8 million (£5,332,096) in its opening weekend — the biggest debut to date for the franchise — to become Britain’s No. 1 film. The UK opening was also the biggest of the Fast franchise to date, surpassing the £4.92M of the previous fourth installment Fast & Furious. Opening across 437 UK sites, it delivered an average of £12,201 per screen and beat competition from Warner Bros’ Arthur, starring Brit lead Russell Brand (in third place after Fox’s Rio in second). Elsewhere internationally, including previews (up to and including Sunday), Fast Five’s opening also fared well across Australia ($10.3M — the biggest-ever Universal opening) Korea ($3.4M) and New Zealand ($870K). Overall, up to and including Monday April 25, the film took a total of $27.8M across the four territories — and was No. 1 for all four markets. Like Rio and Thor recently, Fast Five opened first overseas. It releases in North America this Friday.
'Fast Five' Opens #1 In Britain With $8.8M
What's Hot on Deadline
Venice Film Festival 2016: ‘Arrival’, ‘Jackie’, ‘Light Between Oceans’, ‘Nocturnal Animals’, Malick’s ‘Voyage Of Time’ & Gibson’s ‘Hacksaw Ridge’
Bill O'Reilly Defends Comments That Slaves Who Built The White House Were "Well-Fed And Had Decent Lodging" - Update
Netflix Boss Ted Sarandos Talks Ratings, New Original Programming Spending Increase & 'Stranger Things' Renewal - TCA
Latest Film News
- Venice Film Festival 2016: 'Arrival', 'Jackie', 'Light Between Oceans', 'Nocturnal Animals', Malick's 'Voyage Of Time' & Gibson's…
- Comedy Pic ‘Poms’ In Works With Sierra/Affinity Aboard
- ‘The Fighter’ Scribes To Co-Write Movie About Leicester City’s Hollywood-Ending English Soccer Season
- New Line Sets Sequel To Fright Sensation 'Lights Out'
- Anne Heche Plays Killer’s Mom In ‘My Friend Dahmer’
- ‘The Life And Death Of John Gotti’ Cast Locked