Sequels do especially well overseas, and Universal’s street-car racing franchise is scoring. Thursday’s previews of Fast Five in the UK at 416 locations grossed an estimated $2.1 million in the first day. The pic is No. 1 with 46% market share. It’s Universal’s biggest Thursday previews in history and in the Top 8 Thursday previews of all time — bigger than previews for Iron Man and Iron Man 2 and The Bourne Ultimatum. Fast Five also opened in Korea today at 239 locations to become No. 1 with 35% market share — twice as big as the franchise’s fourquel Fast & Furious with total previews grossing $570K. It’s also No. 1 in New Zealand with 40% market share and an opening-day gross of $260K at 55 locations. The total estimated grosses thus far including its No. 1 status in Australia are $7 million.
'Fast Five' Now No. 1 In UK Previews, Also Tops Korea And New Zealand
What's Hot on Deadline
'Collateral Beauty' Director Alfonso Gomez-Rejon Exits Project Over Creative Differences With Studio
Latest Film News
- ‘The Martian’ Opens To $44.6M, Will Pass $100M Worldwide Today – Int’l Box Final
- Does Lionsgate Have Starz In Its Eyes?
- Karl Glusman Joins ‘Nocturnal Animals’
- ‘Furious 8’ Director Shortlist Down To Last Few
- ‘Kilo Two Bravo’ Director & Writer Ink With Verve
- Matthew McConaughey To Present Reese Witherspoon With American Cinematheque Honor