Sequels do especially well overseas, and Universal’s street-car racing franchise is scoring. Thursday’s previews of Fast Five in the UK at 416 locations grossed an estimated $2.1 million in the first day. The pic is No. 1 with 46% market share. It’s Universal’s biggest Thursday previews in history and in the Top 8 Thursday previews of all time — bigger than previews for Iron Man and Iron Man 2 and The Bourne Ultimatum. Fast Five also opened in Korea today at 239 locations to become No. 1 with 35% market share — twice as big as the franchise’s fourquel Fast & Furious with total previews grossing $570K. It’s also No. 1 in New Zealand with 40% market share and an opening-day gross of $260K at 55 locations. The total estimated grosses thus far including its No. 1 status in Australia are $7 million.
'Fast Five' Now No. 1 In UK Previews, Also Tops Korea And New Zealand
What's Hot on Deadline
Black Friday Explodes At The B.O.: Top 20 Pics +104% Over Thanksgiving; Katniss Eyes $73M 5-Day - Friday Night Update
Universal Lands Hot Novel 'The Girl Before'; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
Pete Hammond's Notes On The Season: Eddie Redmayne Dines Out, Sly Stallone Trusts In Youth, And Leonardo Di Caprio Deserves The Medal Of Honor
Latest Film News
- Deadline’s The Contenders: ‘Son Of Saul’ Director László Nemes & Star Géza Röhrig Discuss The Harrowing Cannes Winner’s Journey…
- What Is This ‘Project Delirium’ Jennifer Lawrence Wants To Direct?
- Universal Lands Hot Novel ‘The Girl Before’; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
- Lionsgate And ‘Gods Of Egypt’ Director Alex Proyas Apologize For Film’s Lack Of Diversity
- Roman Polanski Will Not Be Extradited To The U.S. From Poland
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Facebook Clip: Snoke Signals, Han Shoots First