Sequels do especially well overseas, and Universal’s street-car racing franchise is scoring. Thursday’s previews of Fast Five in the UK at 416 locations grossed an estimated $2.1 million in the first day. The pic is No. 1 with 46% market share. It’s Universal’s biggest Thursday previews in history and in the Top 8 Thursday previews of all time — bigger than previews for Iron Man and Iron Man 2 and The Bourne Ultimatum. Fast Five also opened in Korea today at 239 locations to become No. 1 with 35% market share — twice as big as the franchise’s fourquel Fast & Furious with total previews grossing $570K. It’s also No. 1 in New Zealand with 40% market share and an opening-day gross of $260K at 55 locations. The total estimated grosses thus far including its No. 1 status in Australia are $7 million.
'Fast Five' Now No. 1 In UK Previews, Also Tops Korea And New Zealand
What's Hot on Deadline
Bill O'Reilly Defends Comments That Slaves Who Built The White House Were "Well-Fed And Had Decent Lodging" - Update
Latest Film News
- Comedy Pic ‘Poms’ In Works With Sierra/Affinity Aboard
- ‘The Fighter’ Scribes To Co-Write Movie About Leicester City’s Hollywood-Ending English Soccer Season
- New Line Sets Sequel To Fright Sensation 'Lights Out'
- Anne Heche Plays Killer’s Mom In ‘My Friend Dahmer’
- ‘The Life And Death Of John Gotti’ Cast Locked
- Ben Foster Rounds Out Scott Cooper’s ‘Hostiles’ Cast As Shooting Starts