In Australia, films traditionally open on a Thursday, but Universal opened its latest in the street-racing franchise, Fast Five, last night on a Wednesday. Studio estimates show that it grossed $2.4 million (U.S. dollars) for opening day, making it No. 1 in the country for opening day with 41% market share. In U.S. dollar terms, that’s the biggest ever Universal opening day in Australia. In Australian dollar terms, it’s second only to the fourth film in the franchise, Fast & Furious, which opened on the traditional Thursday. Unfortunately, starting tomorrow, it faces stiff competition from Paramount’s Thor opening in Australia. Fast Five opens this week/weekend in four international territories — the UK, New Zealand, Australia, and Korea — then day and date April 29 in North America and nine more international territories.
'Fast Five' Already Opens #1 Down Under
What's Hot on Deadline
'Gods Of Egypt': 'Selma' Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity - Update
Black Friday Box Office Explodes: Top 20 Pics +112% Over Thanksgiving; Katniss Eyes $74.4M 5-Day - Saturday AM Update
Two-Time Oscar Winner Jane Fonda Back In The Hunt For 'Youth' Three Decades After Her Last Nomination
Universal Lands Hot Novel 'The Girl Before'; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
Pete Hammond's Notes On The Season: Eddie Redmayne Dines Out, Sly Stallone Trusts In Youth, And Leonardo Di Caprio Deserves The Medal Of Honor
Latest Film News
- ‘The Assassin’, ‘Carol’, ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Top BFI Sight & Sound’s Best…
- Will DiCaprio, Depp Or Smith Nab Best Actor Oscar Or Does Redmayne Take It Again? — Awardsline
- ‘Gods Of Egypt’: ‘Selma’ Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity…
- ‘Steve Jobs’ Composer Daniel Pemberton: Video Of ‘Circle Of Machines’ Performance
- Deadline’s The Contenders: ‘Son Of Saul’ Director László Nemes & Star Géza Röhrig Discuss The Harrowing Cannes Winner’s Journey…
- What Is This ‘Project Delirium’ Jennifer Lawrence Wants To Direct?