Dish Network has taken another swipe at Netflix with the announcement today that it has partnered with HBO and Cinemax to give its subscribers access to HBO Go and Max Go — premium-channel content that isn’t available on Netflix’s streaming service. Dish customers who subscribe to HBO or Cinemax can instantly watch nearly all of the premium channels’ programming at DishOnline.com, including movies like Avatar. It’s the latest play by the satellite company, which is finalizing its acquisition of bankrupt video-rental chain Blockbuster, a deal that is expected to help Dish compete against Netflix. The sale was supposed to close as early as today, but Dish wants more time to decide which store leases to keep.
DishOnline Adds HBO & Cinemax Content Not Available to Netflix
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
UPDATE: 'Cops' Bryce Dion Killed By Friendly Fire In Omaha While Filming Response To Wendy's Robbery
More From Team
- Netflix Gets Into French Originals Business With 'Marseille'
- Diane Sawyer Signs Off As Anchor Of 'World News' (Video)
- R.I.P. Character Actor Stephen Lee
- UPDATE: 'Magic Mike' Sequel Moved Up To Wednesday Before Fourth Of July
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Snags Summer Season's Second Strongest Numbers With Major Spoiler
- John Hillcoat's 'Triple Nine' Gets September 2015 Release Date