Discovery announced today that it is renaming its HD Theater cable network Velocity, which they plan to position as “an upscale male lifestyle network” with automotive, sports and leisure, adventure and travel programming. Current HD Theater series like Inside West Coast Customs, Mecum Auto Auctions and Chasing Classic Cars will help anchor the new channel’s primetime lineup. The switchover, planned for fourth-quarter 2011, will put Velocity in about 40 million homes. “Velocity continues Discovery’s tradition of maximizing the value of each of its cable platforms; it is going to be a game-changer when it officially joins our portfolio of U.S. networks later this year,” said David Zaslav, President and CEO of Discovery Communications. “As the first network devoted to the upscale men’s market, Velocity will be a hub for viewers within this key demographic, as well as the wealth of advertisers that target them.”
Discovery Readies Channel Rebrand With Velocity
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- David Yates In Talks For 'Harry Potter' Spin-Off 'Fantastic Beasts'
- Damon Lindelof Accepts Deadline's ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: Video
- EOne Acquires Liz Tuccillo's SXSW Rom-Com 'Take Care'
- TNT Nabs Rights To Lionsgate's 'Hunger Games' & 'Divergent' Franchises
- AFI Directing Workshop For Women Announces Episodic Program
- Hot Trailer: 'Innocence'