If you listened carefully, it sure sounded like Oprah Winfrey is starting to acknowledge what everybody else seems to know: that OWN — her cable channel joint venture with Discovery Communications — has been a disappointment since it was launched in January. “We’re all about raising this child, and it does indeed take a village,” the talk-show hostess told an audience of advertisers and ad buyers at Discovery’s upfront presentation Thursday. She added that “we are all learning more and more about the viewers.” She promised that, once her syndicated daytime talk show ends in May, “I get to devote my full attention to OWN,” but not until September. OWN’s live total day ratings among people between ages 25 and 54 were down 3.8% in the first quarter from the numbers that the channel it replaced, Discovery Health, delivered during the same period last year.
Oprah Admits Her OWN Is Underachiever
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Lieberman
- UPDATE: RealD Responds To Starboard Value's Buyout Offer, Which Sent The 3D Company's Shares Soaring
- DirecTV Secures Renewal Of NFL Sunday Ticket With Added Streaming Rights
- Media Stocks Swoon As Wall Street Frets Over Factory Activity And Ebola
- Is The 'Crouching Tiger 2′ Dispute A Brilliant PR Gambit For Netflix?
- Derek Jeter Teams With Legendary Entertainment To Launch Sports Site: The Player's Tribune
- Suddenlink To Drop Viacom Channels In Dispute Over Contract Terms