If you listened carefully, it sure sounded like Oprah Winfrey is starting to acknowledge what everybody else seems to know: that OWN — her cable channel joint venture with Discovery Communications — has been a disappointment since it was launched in January. “We’re all about raising this child, and it does indeed take a village,” the talk-show hostess told an audience of advertisers and ad buyers at Discovery’s upfront presentation Thursday. She added that “we are all learning more and more about the viewers.” She promised that, once her syndicated daytime talk show ends in May, “I get to devote my full attention to OWN,” but not until September. OWN’s live total day ratings among people between ages 25 and 54 were down 3.8% in the first quarter from the numbers that the channel it replaced, Discovery Health, delivered during the same period last year.
Oprah Admits Her OWN Is Underachiever
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Lieberman
- Now That He's At Carmike, Can Bud Mayo Lead Theaters' Alternative Content Revolution?
- Cable Milestone: Operators Have More Broadband Subs Than TV Ones
- Look Out Gannett: Carl Icahn Buys 6.6% Stake
- Warren Buffett Sends A Mixed Message To John Malone As He Buys Into Charter But Unloads Starz
- Citing “Insulting” Criticism, Comcast And Time Warner Cable Withdraw Funding For Dinner Honoring FCC Commissioner
- Televisa Partners With MiTu To Develop Spanish-Language Digital Content