Catherine Zeta-Jones has been set to play a new role that has been created especially for the movie version of the Adam Shankman-directed Rock of Ages for New Line. She’ll play the wife of the mayor of Los Angeles, a conservative character out to do away with rock and roll. “There are so many plotlines in the piece, we thought it would be fun to create a villain, and a cultural discussion point,” Shankman told Deadline. “She’s the moral majority person, kind of like if Tipper Gore and Anita Bryant had a love child in that era. To have a great actress who won an actress in this genre with Chicago is wonderful.” Prudishness aside, Zeta-Jones gets to take part in the 80s rock anthems. She will sing Pat Benatar’s Hit Me With Your Best Shot and Twisted Sister’s We’re Not Gonna Take It. Shankman will finish casting shortly. He needs the journalist who beds down with Tom Cruise’s decadent rocker Stacee Jaxx (Amy Adams couldn’t do it because of Man of Steel) and now he needs an actor to play the mayor.
Catherine Zeta-Jones Takes On 'Rock Of Ages'
What's Hot on Deadline
Skirball Fire: Officials Determine Cause Of Bel-Air Blaze; Thomas Fire Still Unchecked; Apple Donates $1M - Update
Latest Film News
- 'The Meyerowitz Stories' Star Elizabeth Marvel On Leaving Her Comfort Zone For Noah Baumbach – The Contenders Video
- ‘I, Tonya’ Stars Margot Robbie And Allison Janney On Their Knock-Down Mother/Daughter Fights During The Film – The…
- Oscars: A Preview Of Foreign Language Shortlist Possibles From A World Of Cinema
- Fox Studio Lot Likely Staying In The Murdoch Fold Post-Disney Deal
- Warner Bros Settles $1B ‘Conjuring’ Suit; “Mastermind” Producer Unmasked
- ‘Suburbicon’ Costume Designer Jenny Eagan On “Old Schooling” Her Way To Eerie ’50s…