Catherine Zeta-Jones has been set to play a new role that has been created especially for the movie version of the Adam Shankman-directed Rock of Ages for New Line. She’ll play the wife of the mayor of Los Angeles, a conservative character out to do away with rock and roll. “There are so many plotlines in the piece, we thought it would be fun to create a villain, and a cultural discussion point,” Shankman told Deadline. “She’s the moral majority person, kind of like if Tipper Gore and Anita Bryant had a love child in that era. To have a great actress who won an actress in this genre with Chicago is wonderful.” Prudishness aside, Zeta-Jones gets to take part in the 80s rock anthems. She will sing Pat Benatar’s Hit Me With Your Best Shot and Twisted Sister’s We’re Not Gonna Take It. Shankman will finish casting shortly. He needs the journalist who beds down with Tom Cruise’s decadent rocker Stacee Jaxx (Amy Adams couldn’t do it because of Man of Steel) and now he needs an actor to play the mayor.
Catherine Zeta-Jones Takes On 'Rock Of Ages'
What's Hot on Deadline
Barcelona Terrorist Attack: 13 Confirmed Dead, 100+ Hurt After Van Rams Crowd; Two Suspects Arrested - Update
After Horrific Summer At Box Office, 'It' Will Bring Life To Fall Marketplace With Potential $60M Opening
'Suits' Spinoff Starring Gina Torres To Be Introduced In 'Suits' Season 7 Finale, Will Be About Chicago Politics
Latest Film News
- Is Bob Iger Fed Up With One Of Disney’s Most Vigorous Wall Street Critics?
- The Orchard Lands ‘Outside In’ & Magnolia Acquires ‘The Gospel According To André’; Both…
- Bart & Fleming: How Bad Was Movie Summer 2017?
- ‘Deadpool 2’ Star Zazie Beetz: “Heart Has Been Breaking” Over Stuntwoman Death
- ‘Lara Croft: Tomb Raider’ Director Simon West To Helm ‘Tsunami LA’
- ‘Star Wars’ Obi-Wan Kenobi Movie In Works With Stephen Daldry In Early Talks To Direct