Catherine Zeta-Jones has been set to play a new role that has been created especially for the movie version of the Adam Shankman-directed Rock of Ages for New Line. She’ll play the wife of the mayor of Los Angeles, a conservative character out to do away with rock and roll. “There are so many plotlines in the piece, we thought it would be fun to create a villain, and a cultural discussion point,” Shankman told Deadline. “She’s the moral majority person, kind of like if Tipper Gore and Anita Bryant had a love child in that era. To have a great actress who won an actress in this genre with Chicago is wonderful.” Prudishness aside, Zeta-Jones gets to take part in the 80s rock anthems. She will sing Pat Benatar’s Hit Me With Your Best Shot and Twisted Sister’s We’re Not Gonna Take It. Shankman will finish casting shortly. He needs the journalist who beds down with Tom Cruise’s decadent rocker Stacee Jaxx (Amy Adams couldn’t do it because of Man of Steel) and now he needs an actor to play the mayor.
Catherine Zeta-Jones Takes On 'Rock Of Ages'
What's Hot on Deadline
Donald Trump Defends "Restrained" Twitter Bashing Of Alec Baldwin & 'SNL' In Person Of Year Interview
Latest Film News
- Multiple Buyers Take ‘The Oath’; Baltasar Kormakur Thriller Is Iceland’s #1 2016 Pic
- ‘Tomb Raider’ Reboot Adds Walton Goggins; Sam Daly Cast In ‘Office Uprising’
- Warner Bros & Greg Berlanti Grow ‘Little Shop Of Horrors’ Revamp
- Kate McKinnon To Star In Amblin’s ‘The Lunch Witch’
- Gaumont Takes English-Language Remake Rights To Korean Zombie Hit ‘Train To Busan’
- Alessandro Nivola In Talks To Join Rachel Weisz & Rachel McAdams In ‘Disobedience’