Catherine Zeta-Jones has been set to play a new role that has been created especially for the movie version of the Adam Shankman-directed Rock of Ages for New Line. She’ll play the wife of the mayor of Los Angeles, a conservative character out to do away with rock and roll. “There are so many plotlines in the piece, we thought it would be fun to create a villain, and a cultural discussion point,” Shankman told Deadline. “She’s the moral majority person, kind of like if Tipper Gore and Anita Bryant had a love child in that era. To have a great actress who won an actress in this genre with Chicago is wonderful.” Prudishness aside, Zeta-Jones gets to take part in the 80s rock anthems. She will sing Pat Benatar’s Hit Me With Your Best Shot and Twisted Sister’s We’re Not Gonna Take It. Shankman will finish casting shortly. He needs the journalist who beds down with Tom Cruise’s decadent rocker Stacee Jaxx (Amy Adams couldn’t do it because of Man of Steel) and now he needs an actor to play the mayor.
Catherine Zeta-Jones Takes On 'Rock Of Ages'
What's Hot on Deadline
ABC Orders Drama Pilots 'The Good Doctor' & 'Doomsday' From David Shore, Daniel Dae Kim & Carol Mendesohn
Latest Film News
- Oscar Nominee & EGOT Contender Lin-Manuel Miranda Staying Put In “The Heights”
- ‘La La’, Diversity, Meryl, Mel & Lots Of Worthy Movies Overshadow Academy’s Weird Oscar…
- ‘Patti Cake$’ Spits Rhymes, Beguiles Park City, Readies For Big Time – Sundance Studio
- Alfre Woodard On “Universal Story” Of ‘Burning Sands’ & Netflix Barrier Breaking…
- ‘Patti Cake$’ Near Deal To Fox Searchlight For $10.5M – Sundance
- Oscars: ‘Tanna’ Marks First Foreign Language Nomination For Australia