Catherine Zeta-Jones has been set to play a new role that has been created especially for the movie version of the Adam Shankman-directed Rock of Ages for New Line. She’ll play the wife of the mayor of Los Angeles, a conservative character out to do away with rock and roll. “There are so many plotlines in the piece, we thought it would be fun to create a villain, and a cultural discussion point,” Shankman told Deadline. “She’s the moral majority person, kind of like if Tipper Gore and Anita Bryant had a love child in that era. To have a great actress who won an actress in this genre with Chicago is wonderful.” Prudishness aside, Zeta-Jones gets to take part in the 80s rock anthems. She will sing Pat Benatar’s Hit Me With Your Best Shot and Twisted Sister’s We’re Not Gonna Take It. Shankman will finish casting shortly. He needs the journalist who beds down with Tom Cruise’s decadent rocker Stacee Jaxx (Amy Adams couldn’t do it because of Man of Steel) and now he needs an actor to play the mayor.
Catherine Zeta-Jones Takes On 'Rock Of Ages'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Keeps B.O. Treasure From 'Tomb Raider'; How 'I Can Only Imagine' Hit A $17M High Note
'Triple Frontier' Finally Going: Affleck, Isaac, Pascal, Hunnam, Hedlund, Arjona In JC Chandor's Lineup
'SNL' Imagines #MeToo Apology Spree By "Canada's Harvey Weinstein," Trots Out Impressions In 'Jurassic Park' Auditions
Latest Film News
- Tribeca Film Festival Announces ‘Schindler’s List’, ‘Scarface’ Reunions & Anniversary Screenings, Unveils Tribeca Talks…
- Former DMG Exec Chris Fenton In Talks For Big Saudi Arabia Film Job
- Charlie Bean To Helm Disney’s Live-Action ‘Lady And The Tramp’ Adaptation
- Topher Grace Set To Play Pastor In Faith-Based ‘The Impossible’
- Disney CEO Bob Iger Could Earn Up To $423 Million In Compensation, Advisory Firm Says
- Wes Anderson’s ‘Isle Of Dogs’ Wins SXSW Audience Award In Headliners Section