No surprise here — I hear BET has quietly renewed its blockbuster comedy series The Game for a fifth season. The cable network may hold the official announcement until its upfront presentation on Wednesday, but word is that Season 5 may be bigger than the 13-episode Season 4, probably for 22 episodes. Also expected to get a renewal is BET’s freshman comedy Let’s Stay Together, which was recently paired with The Game. Meanwhile, I hear Reed Between the Lines, the network’s comedy pilot produced by and starring former Girlfriends star Tracee Ellis Ross as a busy psychiatrist, is getting a series order. Malcolm-Jamal Warner co-stars in the project written by Kellie Griffin. The Game, which was canceled by the CW in 2009, started off with staggering 7.7 million tuning in for its fifth-season premiere on BET and ended the season on a high note with 4.4 million viewers for the finale. This is the second comedy series canceled by a broadcast network to successfully relaunch on cable and land a renewal in the past couple of weeks, following the two-season pickup for Futurama at Comedy Central. Let’s Stay Together, executive produced by Queen Latifah, averaged 2.9 million viewers.
BET Renews 'The Game' & 'Together,' Picks Up 'Reed Between The Lines' To Series
What's Hot on Deadline
M Night Shyamalan Unveils 'Glass': 'Unbreakable' & 'Split' Sequel To Star Bruce Willis, Samuel L Jackson, James McAvoy
Mindy Kaling & 3 Arts Option Alyssa Mastromonaco White House Memoir 'Who Thought This Was A Good Idea?' For TV
DC Digital Service To Launch With 'Titans' Series From Greg Berlanti & Akiva Goldsman And 'Young Justice: Outsiders'
Latest TV News
- ‘The Simpsons’ Looks At Donald Trump’s First 100 Days In Office
- Dish Network & Hearst TV End Blackout With New Deal
- ‘Singularity’: Amanda Lund To Star In FX Comedy Pilot
- ESPN Layoffs: Jayson Stark & Trent Dilfer Among Several Big Names Let Go By Sports Giant – Update
- ‘Downton Abbey’ Global Exhibition Set To Kick Off In June
- Vince Vaughn-Produced ‘Fearless With Tim Ferriss’ Gets Premiere Date On Audience Network