No surprise here — I hear BET has quietly renewed its blockbuster comedy series The Game for a fifth season. The cable network may hold the official announcement until its upfront presentation on Wednesday, but word is that Season 5 may be bigger than the 13-episode Season 4, probably for 22 episodes. Also expected to get a renewal is BET’s freshman comedy Let’s Stay Together, which was recently paired with The Game. Meanwhile, I hear Reed Between the Lines, the network’s comedy pilot produced by and starring former Girlfriends star Tracee Ellis Ross as a busy psychiatrist, is getting a series order. Malcolm-Jamal Warner co-stars in the project written by Kellie Griffin. The Game, which was canceled by the CW in 2009, started off with staggering 7.7 million tuning in for its fifth-season premiere on BET and ended the season on a high note with 4.4 million viewers for the finale. This is the second comedy series canceled by a broadcast network to successfully relaunch on cable and land a renewal in the past couple of weeks, following the two-season pickup for Futurama at Comedy Central. Let’s Stay Together, executive produced by Queen Latifah, averaged 2.9 million viewers.
BET Renews 'The Game' & 'Together,' Picks Up 'Reed Between The Lines' To Series
What's Hot on Deadline
After Protests, Mandy Patinkin Drops Plan To Take Over Lead In Broadway's 'Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet Of 1812'
Mario Cantone Debuts As Potty-Mouth White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci On 'The President Show'
Latest TV News
- Patti Deutsch Dies: ‘Laugh-In’ And ‘Match Game’ Regular & Veteran Voice Actor Was 73
- Kathy Griffin Says She’s Been “Cleared” In Federal Probe Of Her Severed Trump Head Photo
- ‘Outlander’ Keeps Cast And Viewers On Their Time-Traveling Toes In Season 3 – TCA
- ‘Game Of Thrones’ Star Sues Ex-Manager Over “Sham” Contract & Commissions
- ‘Manhunt: Unabomber’ Review: Sam Worthington & Paul Bettany Are Riveting
- ‘Howards End’ EP On How Starz Period Drama Is Relevant Today – TCA