EXCLUSIVE: As Deadline told you, Summit Entertainment post-Twilight Saga is continuing to bet heavily on books for its future franchises. Most are conducive to young casts. Now I can report that another young actress to watch is making the transition from TV to movies: CW’s The Vampire Diaries star Nina Dobrev has been cast as Candace in the film based on Stephen Chbosky’s novel The Perks of Being A Wallflower, which the author is adapting for Harry Potter‘s Emma Watson and Logan Lerman as well as Paul Rudd. This was a much sought-after lead role. The 22-year-old Bulgarian-Canadian actress played Mia Jones, the single teenage mother, on Degrassi: The Next Generation, from the show’s 6th to 9th season. She currently plays Elena Gilbert and Katherine Pierce on The Vampire Diaries and won the “Young Hollywood Making Their Mark” category at the 12th Annual Young Hollywood Awards. (Disclosure: these awards are owned by my parent company PMC).
Nina Dobrev Goes From 'Vampire Diaries' To 'The Perks Of Being A Wallflower'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Power Rangers', 'CHIPS' & A Deep-Space Alien Won't Take This 'Beauty And The Beast' Down - Weekend Box Office Preview
Latest Film News
- Relativity Scores Rare Legal Win As Netflix Ordered To Pay Lawyer Fees
- ‘He Will Not Divide Us’: Shia LaBeouf, Luke Turner & Nastja Säde Rönkkö's Anti-Trump Project Relocates Overseas
- Emmy Winner Kyle Chandler Joins New Line’s ‘Game Night’
- Mike Epps Reteams With Bruce Willis As ‘Acts Of Violence’ Sets Cast
- Graphic Novel ‘The Pro’ Hooks Movie Deal At Paramount
- No. 15 ‘Hidden Figures’ Box Office Profits – 2016 Most Valuable Movie Blockbuster Tournament