The director revealed the news in an interview with a Los Angeles Times blog today from Paris, where he was publicizing Sucker Punch. Zach Snyder phoned the 36-year-old three-time Oscar nominee Amy Adams with the news today. “There was a big, giant search for Lois,” Snyder said. “For us it was a big thing and obviously a really important role. We did a lot of auditioning but we had this meeting with Amy Adams and after that I just felt she was perfect for it.” He said the role is “a linchpin” to the project and will have contemporary appeal and spirit. “It goes back to what I’ve said about Superman and making him really understandable for today. What’s important to us is making him relevant and real and making him empathetic to today’s audience so that we understand the decisions he makes. That applies to Lois as well. She has to be in the same universe as him.” Adams’ recent movies include The Fighter, Enchanted, and Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian. She is being courted by Adam Shankman to join Rock of Ages, playing the journalist who falls into a bedroom romp with Tom Cruise’s decadent rock star character. And she is attached to that long-in-the-works Janis Joplin biopic to play the 1960s singer directed by Fernando Meirelles. Both Margot Kidder and Kate Bosworth have played movie versions of Metropolis newspaper reporter Lois Lane, the primary love interest of Superman in the DC Comics created by writer Jerry Siegel and artist Joe Shuster dating back to 1938.
Zack Snyder Chooses Amy Adams To Play Lois Lane in 'Superman'
What's Hot on Deadline
'A Quiet Place' Still Noisy With $21M+; 'I Feel Pretty' $18M; 'Super Troopers 2' Arrests $16M - Saturday Update
'Smallville' Actress Allison Mack Arrested In Sex Trafficking Scheme, Faces 15 Years To Life If Convicted
'Jane the Virgin' Finale': Series Creator On That Shocking Twist, 'Dallas'-Inspired Cliffhanger, Season 5 & Show's Endgame
Latest Film News
- Deadline Studio at Tribeca 2018 – Part 1: Ethan Hawke, Common, Antonio Banderas, Noomi Rapace, & More
- Robert De Niro And Bradley Cooper Swap Stories, With An Unplanned Assist From David O. Russell – Tribeca
- Sylvester Stallone Asks Trump To Pardon Boxer Jack Johnson – President Considers It
- James Cameron Speaks Out On New AMC Sci Fi Series, Oscar Snubs, A Return To ‘Terminator’, And The Effect Of Fox/Disney Merger On…
- ‘Maine’ Clip: Tribeca Drama Explores Self Discovery, Love In Nature
- ‘Braid’ Clip: A Demented Game Is Afoot In Mitzi Peirone’s Tribeca Thriller