EXCLUSIVE: The Weinstein Company has preemptively acquired screen rights to The Boys in the Boat, a nonfiction book by Daniel James Brown about the University of Washington 8-man rowing team that bested the elite schools like Harvard and Yale to represent the United States in the 1936 Olympics in Berlin. There, they beat powerhouses England and Germany to win the Gold Medal, prompting Hitler to storm off in disgust. WME made the deal based on a 17-page proposal, and the agency is hot and heavy with several publishing houses for book rights. I’ve heard that Viking and Random House were among those into the bidding last night, which at the time reached $750,000 for North American rights.
Weinstein Company Captures Book Proposal On 1936 U.S. Olympics Crew Team
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- 'The Killer' Movie: Alex Holmes Set To Adapt For Pierre Morel, Studiocanal
- After Moving Slow As Corpse, 'Zombieland 2′ Gets Writer And Urgency
- Is the Movie Business Healthy Or Hurting? Deadline's Fleming and Busch Duke It Out In DeadlineNow Video
- Dylan Sellers Exits President Post at TWC
- Dennis Quaid Joins Dan Rather-George W. Bush Scandal Pic 'Truth'
- Quvenzhane Wallis To Star In Bestseller 'Counting By 7s'