Newspaper groups and telco BT have written to members of the UK parliament in hope of derailing Rupert Murdoch’s takeover of pay-TV giant BSkyB. Rival owners of the Daily Mail, the Guardian, the Daily Telegraph and others are urging MPs to lobby Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt, whom they hope might be persuaded to do a U-turn and refer News Corp.’s bid for the 61% of BSkyB it does not already own to the anti-trust regulator. Liberal Democrat MPs in particular are being targeted as they are the junior members in the ruling Coalition; their senior figure, Vince Cable, was ousted from the job of deciding the deal after telling two undercover newspaper reporters that he had “declared war on Mr. Murdoch.” In their letter, News Corp.’s rivals set out a battery of complaints about the conglomerate’s offer to spin off news channel Sky News into a separate company. Among them are that News Corp. will still be able to turn the financial screw on Sky News; that it has a history of undermining editorial independence with similar news operations like the Wall Street Journal and The Times of London; and that a two-week consultation period — which ends next Monday — is simply too short to scrutinize such a complex deal.
Murdoch's U.K. Rivals Launch Last-Ditch Appeal Over BSkyB
What's Hot on Deadline
'Parks & Rec' Mike Schur Says "Everybody Knew About Kevin Spacey"; 'Leftovers' Damon Lindelof Regrets Theroux Jokes
'Transparent' Creator Jill Soloway Won't Discuss Jeffrey Tambor Scandal, Advocates Anti-Harassment On-Set Rules
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Latest TV News
- ‘Transparent’ Creator Jill Soloway Won’t Discuss Jeffrey Tambor Scandal, Advocates Anti-Harassment…
- Saoirse Ronan To Host ‘Saturday Night Live’, With Musical Guest U2
- ‘SNL’: Trump Boys Inherit Dad-Free Spot With “Juilliard Massage” Of “RickiLakes”
- ‘Stranger Things’: Duffer Brothers And Cast Reflect On Season 2, Keep Tight-Lipped On Season 3
- ‘Parks & Rec’ Mike Schur Says “Everybody Knew About Kevin Spacey”; ‘Leftovers’ Damon Lindelof Regrets…
- Lena Dunham Apologizes For Murray Miller Defense Amid Assault Allegations