Newspaper groups and telco BT have written to members of the UK parliament in hope of derailing Rupert Murdoch’s takeover of pay-TV giant BSkyB. Rival owners of the Daily Mail, the Guardian, the Daily Telegraph and others are urging MPs to lobby Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt, whom they hope might be persuaded to do a U-turn and refer News Corp.’s bid for the 61% of BSkyB it does not already own to the anti-trust regulator. Liberal Democrat MPs in particular are being targeted as they are the junior members in the ruling Coalition; their senior figure, Vince Cable, was ousted from the job of deciding the deal after telling two undercover newspaper reporters that he had “declared war on Mr. Murdoch.” In their letter, News Corp.’s rivals set out a battery of complaints about the conglomerate’s offer to spin off news channel Sky News into a separate company. Among them are that News Corp. will still be able to turn the financial screw on Sky News; that it has a history of undermining editorial independence with similar news operations like the Wall Street Journal and The Times of London; and that a two-week consultation period — which ends next Monday — is simply too short to scrutinize such a complex deal.
Murdoch's U.K. Rivals Launch Last-Ditch Appeal Over BSkyB
What's Hot on Deadline
'Beauty And The Beast' Nears $700M WW; 'Kong' Has Mighty $72M China Bow, Tops $250M Offshore - International Box Office
'American Horror Story' At Paley Fest: Is Sarah Paulson's Supreme 'Coven' Character Returning In Season 7?
Family-Branded Films On Fire: 'Beauty And The Beast' Headed To $90M+; 'Power Rangers' Mighty With $40M+
Latest TV News
- Chuck Schumer Demands House Dump Intel Committee Chair Devin Nunes After White House Deflects Questions
- ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’ Draws Nearly 1M Viewers In VH1 Debut
- OWN Sets Docuseries ‘Released’ & ‘Checking Inn’ For Saturday Nights This Fall
- Sean Spicer Insists Donald Trump Plugged Judge Jeanine’s Show Only Because He Is Fan, “Plain And Simple”
- ‘Arrow’: Katie Cassidy To Return As Black Siren, Will Be Regular In Season 6
- NFL Approves Raiders Move To Las Vegas For 2019 Season