Its Depression Era setting puts HBO’s new miniseries Mildred Pierce between the events in John Adams and Generation Kill. The premiere ratings for the mini starring Kate Winslet (1.3 million viewers) fell between those two HBO minis, too (1.8 million for the opener of John Adams, 1 million for Part 1 of Generation Kill). Given its star power — directed by Todd Haynes and co-starring Guy Pearce and Evan Rachel Wood — the mini could’ve done better, but the dysfunctional family story at its center is not particularly commercial. HBO’s top-performing recent miniseries was last year’s big-budget World War II saga The Pacific, which opened with 3.1 million viewers.
'Mildred Pierce' Premiere Ratings Fall Between 'John Adams' & 'Generation Kill'
Trending Now on Deadline
Ferguson Grand Jury Decision: CNN & Fox News Reporters Attacked On-Air; Networks Go Live To Obama Remarks Over No Indictment - Update
Nicole Kidman & Reese Witherspoon To Star In 'Big Little Lies' Limited Series, Penned By David E. Kelley
More From Andreeva
- Joel McHale To Produce E! Pilot About Snarky Web Comments
- Nicole Kidman & Reese Witherspoon To Star In 'Big Little Lies' Limited Series, Penned By David E. Kelley
- Viola Davis & Debra Martin Chase Produce Drama Based On Prosecutor Kym Worthy
- Parminder Nagra & Jessalyn Gilsig To Co-Star In 'Evil Men' USA Pilot
- 'Cristela' Gets Full-Season Order By ABC
- George Eads Exits 'CSI' After 15 Seasons