Its Depression Era setting puts HBO’s new miniseries Mildred Pierce between the events in John Adams and Generation Kill. The premiere ratings for the mini starring Kate Winslet (1.3 million viewers) fell between those two HBO minis, too (1.8 million for the opener of John Adams, 1 million for Part 1 of Generation Kill). Given its star power — directed by Todd Haynes and co-starring Guy Pearce and Evan Rachel Wood — the mini could’ve done better, but the dysfunctional family story at its center is not particularly commercial. HBO’s top-performing recent miniseries was last year’s big-budget World War II saga The Pacific, which opened with 3.1 million viewers.
'Mildred Pierce' Premiere Ratings Fall Between 'John Adams' & 'Generation Kill'
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Syfy Orders 'Hunters' Series From Gale Anne Hurd Based On 'Alien Hunter' Book
- 'Gotham' & 'Scorpion' Off To Solid Start, 'Forever' Preview Decent, 'The Big Bang Theory' & 'The Blacklist' Return Strong…
- AMC Pilot 'White City' Casting: Tim Peper, Mercedes Mason & Josh Pence Join
- Adaptation Of Telenovela 'La Reina Del Sur' Ordered To Pilot By USA Network
- 'True Detective': Colin Farrell, Vince Vaughn Confirmed As Season 2 Stars & Justin Lin As Director By HBO
- Rocsi Diaz To Exit 'Entertainment Tonight'