Lionel Wigram, who famously hatched a graphic novel version of Sherlock Holmes before setting that franchise up at Warner Bros., has tapped into another comic for a feature film project. Wigram Productions has acquired rights to RASL, a black-and-white science fiction noir comic book series written and drawn by Jeff Smith. RASL is an ex-military scientist-turned-art thief who jumps to parallel universes to steal treasured pieces of art. During these trips, he gets discovered by his former employer, and finds himself trying to protect the world’s most dangerous secret. Smith, who launched the series in 2008, also writes Bone, a series that has received 10 Eisner and 11 Harvey Awards. Wigram, who just wrapped Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, said he was tipped to the comic by colleague Peter Eskelsen and bought it with his own cash. “We’ll team with a writer and figure out how to adapt it to the screen and hopefully it will become a big movie franchise for Warner Bros.,” he said. ICM brokered the deal. Wigram will produce, and Eskelsen and Jeff Smith will be exec producers.
Lionel Wigram Taps Comic 'RASL' For Film
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Director Ryan Coogler Writes Letter Of Gratitude After Film's Record-Breaking Weekend
Oprah Winfrey Answers Call & Joins Clooneys, Katzenbergs, Spielberg And Capshaw In Donating $500,000 To March For Our Lives: Who's Next?
Donald Trump Unleashes Base On Jeff Sessions With Tweet Demanding DOJ Investigate Obama In Russia Probe
Ousted Weinstein Company COO David Glasser To File $85M Lawsuit Against Board Members, Alleging He Has Been Made A Scapegoat
'Black Panther' Goes Wild: At $242M Superhero Owns 2nd Best 4-Day Opening & Defeats 'Last Jedi' - Update
Latest Film News
- With ‘The Breadwinner’ & ‘First They Killed My Father’, Angelina Jolie Casts Light On Children In…
- David Rubin Named President, Physical Production At Global Road Entertainment
- ‘Midnight Rider’ Case: Sarah Jones’ Parents In Court To Try To Prevent Director Randall Miller’s Ask…
- ‘Black Panther’ Leaps Over $200M Offshore; Lands $462M WW Through Tuesday
- Laurie Metcalf On Her Oscar-Nominated ‘Lady Bird’, Returning To ‘Roseanne’ & How B’way Co-Star Glenda Jackson Is A “Monster”…
- Harvey Weinstein Wants Class Action Tossed; Cites Meryl Streep As Shield