EXCLUSIVE: Before Anna Chapman, there were scores of other Russia/Soviet Union spies in the U.S. living seemingly normal lives while sending secret dispatches to Moscow. One of them is the subject of a period drama series project in development at HBO, from writer-director Martyn Burke (Pirates of Silicon Valley). Set in 1980s, the project, tentatively titled Reds, is based on real-life events from Burke’s early film career. In the 80s, he was traveling the U.S. with a camera crew while making a documentary. However, unbeknownst to him, the sound man on the crew was in reality a colonel in the Soviet KGB. The Soviet spy later set up his base of operations outside New York City while attempting to raise a family as an ordinary American citizen but was eventually caught. Burke, repped by Brent Travers of Ascend Entertainment and attorney Shep Rosenman, is currently editing the documentary Journalists Under Fire for the Canadian Broadcasting Corp., about the psychological stresses war journalists face while covering conflicts. Burke also is in early pre-production on Brazil-Canada co-production A Death In The Bullfighting Hills, co-produced by Sao Paulo’s Bossa Nova Films. The feature is based on the true story of the life and love of assassinated Mexican presidential candidate Luis Donaldo Colosio and his wife.
HBO Developing 1980s Russian Spy Drama
What's Hot on Deadline
'Parks & Rec' Mike Schur Says "Everybody Knew About Kevin Spacey"; 'Leftovers' Damon Lindelof Regrets Theroux Jokes
'Transparent' Creator Jill Soloway Won't Discuss Jeffrey Tambor Scandal, Advocates Anti-Harassment On-Set Rules
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Latest TV News
- ‘SNL’: “Come Back, Barack”, Stay Awhile Pete Davidson & Chance Pays Off
- ‘Transparent’ Creator Jill Soloway Won’t Discuss Jeffrey Tambor Scandal, Advocates Anti-Harassment…
- Saoirse Ronan To Host ‘Saturday Night Live’, With Musical Guest U2
- ‘SNL’: Trump Boys Inherit Dad-Free Spot With “Juilliard Massage” Of “RickiLakes”
- ‘Stranger Things’: Duffer Brothers And Cast Reflect On Season 2, Keep Tight-Lipped On Season 3
- ‘Parks & Rec’ Mike Schur Says “Everybody Knew About Kevin Spacey”; ‘Leftovers’ Damon Lindelof Regrets…