Glee’s Ryan Murphy, who was Sony Pictures and Will Smith’s choice to direct Willow Smith in the re-imagining of the Broadway musical Annie, has dropped out of contention. Talks broke off and he’s not doing the film, I’m told. The project was recently set at Sony Pictures by Overbrook Entertainment partners James Lassiter, Ken Stovitz, Jada Pinkett Smith and Will Smith in the joint venture they formed with Jay-Z to generate films. Willow, who is Smith’s daughter, will play the lovable orphan.
'Glee's Ryan Murphy No Go For 'Annie'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Continues To Make B.O. History: $195M+ Opening Beats 'Ultron' & 4-Day Eyeing $225M+: Sunday Final
Latest Film News
- BAFTA Awards: Deadline’s Live Blog & Winners List
- Armando Iannucci Still “Hopeful” Of ‘The Death Of Stalin’ Getting Russian Release
- 'The Party' Has Lively Bow; 'Detective Chinatown 2' Wins Chinese New Year Race: Specialty Box Office
- Gemma Arterton Says “There Is So Much More To Do” In #MeToo Campaign – BAFTA Awards
- Nazif Mujić Dies: Bosnian Actor & Berlin Award Winner
- Imogen Poots Drama ‘Mobile Homes’ Gets U.S. Release With Dark Star – Berlin