EXCLUSIVE: The Weinstein Company is negotiating with Icon to acquire U.S. distribution rights to Coriolanus, the Ralph Fiennes-directed John Logan-scripted contemporized adaptation of the Shakespeare play. Gerard Butler, Fiennes, Brian Cox, Vanessa Redgrave and Jessica Chastain lead the cast. The film will be part of the competition at the upcoming Berlin International Film Festival. It puts Harvey Weinstein back in business with Fiennes, who starred in the 1996 Best Picture winner The English Patient and most recently in The Reader. The plan being discussed involves platforming the picture later this year, in time for awards season. Fiennes plays the title character, a hero who is banished and plots his revenge by aligning with his sworn enemy, Tulles Aufidius (Butler) to return and sack his homeland. Political machinations and misgivings get in the way and place Coiolanus in grave danger. Gabrielle Tana of Magnolia Mae Films, Julia Taylor-Stanley of Artemis Films, and Colin Vaines produced it. Weinstein viewed the film a month ago in London. The pending deal follows an aggressive Sundance for Weinstein, who acquired the fest’s two highest priced films in the Paul Rudd-starrer My Idiot Brother and the Tobey Maguire-starrer The Details.
Weinstein Co In Talks To Buy 'Coriolanus'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Deadpool' Smacking Christian Grey's February Records With $47.5M+ Friday, Amazing $129M-$136M 4-day
Universal Wins 'The Grownup'; 'Gone Girl' Author Gillian Flynn Short Story Sells In High-Six-Figure Deal
Latest Film News
- Nigel Lythgoe To Exec Produce Dance Pic ‘Tackling Romeo’ – Berlin
- Focus Features Makes Big Berlin Deal; $9 Million For Interracial Marriage Drama ‘Loving’
- Rob Cohen’s ‘Category 5’ Sees Storm Of Sales Action For Foresight – Berlin
- Paul Rudd, Steve Coogan To Share ‘An Ideal Home’ – Berlin
- Charlotte Rampling To Star With Josh Hartnett In ‘Valley of the Gods’ – Berlin
- ‘Kill Me, Deadly’ Trailer: ‘Criminal Minds’ Crew’s Noir Comedy Gets April 1 Release Date