EXCLUSIVE: The Weinstein Company is negotiating with Icon to acquire U.S. distribution rights to Coriolanus, the Ralph Fiennes-directed John Logan-scripted contemporized adaptation of the Shakespeare play. Gerard Butler, Fiennes, Brian Cox, Vanessa Redgrave and Jessica Chastain lead the cast. The film will be part of the competition at the upcoming Berlin International Film Festival. It puts Harvey Weinstein back in business with Fiennes, who starred in the 1996 Best Picture winner The English Patient and most recently in The Reader. The plan being discussed involves platforming the picture later this year, in time for awards season. Fiennes plays the title character, a hero who is banished and plots his revenge by aligning with his sworn enemy, Tulles Aufidius (Butler) to return and sack his homeland. Political machinations and misgivings get in the way and place Coiolanus in grave danger. Gabrielle Tana of Magnolia Mae Films, Julia Taylor-Stanley of Artemis Films, and Colin Vaines produced it. Weinstein viewed the film a month ago in London. The pending deal follows an aggressive Sundance for Weinstein, who acquired the fest’s two highest priced films in the Paul Rudd-starrer My Idiot Brother and the Tobey Maguire-starrer The Details.
Weinstein Co In Talks To Buy 'Coriolanus'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Blade Runner' Nears $100M Offshore, Has Soft Korea Open; 'Kingsman' Closes In On $200M - International Box Office
Latest Film News
- Netflix Plans 80 Movies In 2018, Up From Eight In Current Quarter; “People Will Start Seeing The Potential”
- Cher Dances Her Way Into ‘Mamma Mia!’ Sequel
- ‘Better Call Saul’s Michael Mando Joins Jesse Eisenberg In ‘The Hummingbird Project’
- Jordan Peele, Channing Dungey & More Named As Honorees At AAFCA’s Special Achievement Ceremony
- Netflix Gains 5.3M Global Subs In Q3 As Stock Sets Record; Says Bid For Weinstein Co “Extremely Unlikely”
- Lionsgate Sets Release Date For Animated Film ‘Condorito: La Pelicula’; Breaking Glass Dates SXSW Pic ‘Inheritance…