EXCLUSIVE: The Weinstein Company is negotiating with Icon to acquire U.S. distribution rights to Coriolanus, the Ralph Fiennes-directed John Logan-scripted contemporized adaptation of the Shakespeare play. Gerard Butler, Fiennes, Brian Cox, Vanessa Redgrave and Jessica Chastain lead the cast. The film will be part of the competition at the upcoming Berlin International Film Festival. It puts Harvey Weinstein back in business with Fiennes, who starred in the 1996 Best Picture winner The English Patient and most recently in The Reader. The plan being discussed involves platforming the picture later this year, in time for awards season. Fiennes plays the title character, a hero who is banished and plots his revenge by aligning with his sworn enemy, Tulles Aufidius (Butler) to return and sack his homeland. Political machinations and misgivings get in the way and place Coiolanus in grave danger. Gabrielle Tana of Magnolia Mae Films, Julia Taylor-Stanley of Artemis Films, and Colin Vaines produced it. Weinstein viewed the film a month ago in London. The pending deal follows an aggressive Sundance for Weinstein, who acquired the fest’s two highest priced films in the Paul Rudd-starrer My Idiot Brother and the Tobey Maguire-starrer The Details.
Weinstein Co In Talks To Buy 'Coriolanus'
What's Hot on Deadline
Mark Ruffalo To Star In HBO Limited Drama Series In Works From Derek Cianfrance Based On Wally Lamb Book
'I Love You, Daddy' Trailer: Louis C.K. Dark Comedy About Worried Dad Whose Teen Daughter Dates 60-Something Director
Latest Film News
- Danielle Darrieux Dies: Grande Dame Of French Cinema Was 100
- NBCUniversal Short Film Festival Announces Winners
- Rob Reiner, Woody Harrelson & Lawrence O’Donnell Talk ‘LBJ’ In The Trump Era
- Deadline’s The Contenders At Capacity; Long Waiting List For Award Season Kickoff Event
- VidAngel Files For Chapter 11 After Losing Legal Fight With Hollywood Studios
- ‘I Love You, Daddy’ Trailer: Louis C.K. Dark Comedy About Worried Dad Whose Teen Daughter Dates…