EXCLUSIVE: The Weinstein Company is negotiating with Icon to acquire U.S. distribution rights to Coriolanus, the Ralph Fiennes-directed John Logan-scripted contemporized adaptation of the Shakespeare play. Gerard Butler, Fiennes, Brian Cox, Vanessa Redgrave and Jessica Chastain lead the cast. The film will be part of the competition at the upcoming Berlin International Film Festival. It puts Harvey Weinstein back in business with Fiennes, who starred in the 1996 Best Picture winner The English Patient and most recently in The Reader. The plan being discussed involves platforming the picture later this year, in time for awards season. Fiennes plays the title character, a hero who is banished and plots his revenge by aligning with his sworn enemy, Tulles Aufidius (Butler) to return and sack his homeland. Political machinations and misgivings get in the way and place Coiolanus in grave danger. Gabrielle Tana of Magnolia Mae Films, Julia Taylor-Stanley of Artemis Films, and Colin Vaines produced it. Weinstein viewed the film a month ago in London. The pending deal follows an aggressive Sundance for Weinstein, who acquired the fest’s two highest priced films in the Paul Rudd-starrer My Idiot Brother and the Tobey Maguire-starrer The Details.
Weinstein Co In Talks To Buy 'Coriolanus'
What's Hot on Deadline
Sarah Jones' Parents Unveil New "Safety For Sarah" PSA, Tell Sundance "Never Again, Never Forget" - Video
We Called It: 'Me And Earl And The Dying Girl' Sells To Fox Searchlight & Indian Paintbrush For Record $12M - Sundance Update
More From Fleming Jr
- Magnolia Bites Into ‘Tangerine:’ Sundance
- Hot Teaser: ‘The Fantastic Four’
- UPDATE: Lionsgate Closes Eli Roth-Keanu Reeves Thriller ‘Knock Knock’ At $2.5 Million
- Not So Fast On ‘Dying Girl’ Record: FSL Indian Paintbrush Deal Promises Upside, But Not Fest Record
- ‘Strongest Man’ Helmer Kenny Riches Signs With UTA; Sundance
- Bart & Fleming: January Movie Turds; ‘Fruitvale’s Ryan Coogler Taking ‘Rocky’ Road; Bill Maher Shaming Liberals Over…