When I was at Sundance, the buzz was about theater chains getting into the distribution game, with Tom Ortenberg at the reins. Regal Entertainment and AMC Entertainment are the chains and they are formalizing a new company to become another film buyer, per an LA Times story. Some at Sundance wondered if this was related to the push by studios to shrink theatrical windows, with the idea that if theater chains generate their own product and give it favorable treatment, it might give studios pause. Ortenberg has been mentioned for a bunch of jobs, including the idea he would take over Bill Pohlad’s Apparition, for which he was consulting after Bob Berney left. More to come.
Tom Ortenberg Puts Theater Chains In Distribution Business
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Hobbit Sings Sweet Farewell To Middle Earth
- Charles Sipkins Exiting Sony As Corporate PR Head
- Jean-Marc Vallee To Direct Amy Adams In Janis Joplin Biopic
- Katee Sackhoff Gets 'Girl Flu'
- Richard Linklater Cast For Career Achievement Award
- Josh Boone Says Warner Bros Will Turn Stephen King's 'The Stand' Into Four Films