EXCLUSIVE: Summit Entertainment has acquired screen rights to This Dark Endeavor: The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein, a novel by Kenneth Oppel. Summit’s Twilight Saga producer Karen Rosenfelt is aboard to produce. The novel will be published by Simon & Schuster in the summer. The action adventure surrounds young Victor Frankenstein and his attempt to save his twin brother, Konrad, who falls gravely ill. Victor seeks out a mysterious old alchemist who sends Victor and his best friend Elizabeth on a dangerous quest to find three rare ingredients needed to create the Elixir of Life, a fabled serum that will give the drinker perpetual health. There are betrayals along the way and a love triangle between Victor, Elizabeth and Konrad. The book is full of insider references involving Mary Shelley and her original Frankenstein novel, and sets up the subsequent storyline for that famous tale. I’m told that Universal–which has plans to remake its classic Frankenstein film with Guillermo del Toro–was also interested, but Summit’s exec team swooped in. ICM repped the film rights for lit agent Writer’s House.
Summit Books Frankenstein Origin Tale 'This Dark Endeavor'
What's Hot on Deadline
NBC Orders 'The Handmade Project' Crafts Competition Reality Series Hosted By Amy Poehler & Nick Offerman
Fox 2000, Macmillan Land African Flavored Fantasy Novel 'Children Of Blood And Bone' In Splashy Deal
Latest Film News
- SAG P&H Plans’ “Unreasonable” Fees And Expenses Appear To Have Violated Federal Law, DOJ Probe Finds
- Focus Features Unveils 2017 Slate: ‘The Beguiled,’ ‘Victoria and Abdul,’ ‘The Book Of Henry…
- Gary Oldman Spent 200 Hours In Make-Up Chair To Become Winston Churchill In ‘Darkest Hour’ — CinemaCon
- Wesley Snipes Sci-Fi Thriller ‘The Recall’ Set For Panoramic Format Release
- No. 5 ‘Zootopia’ Box Office Profits – 2016 Most Valuable Movie Blockbuster Tournament
- Sofia Coppola Hopes Audiences See Her Film ‘The Beguiled’ “In A Theater Where It Was Meant To Be Seen”…