EXCLUSIVE: Summit Entertainment has acquired screen rights to This Dark Endeavor: The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein, a novel by Kenneth Oppel. Summit’s Twilight Saga producer Karen Rosenfelt is aboard to produce. The novel will be published by Simon & Schuster in the summer. The action adventure surrounds young Victor Frankenstein and his attempt to save his twin brother, Konrad, who falls gravely ill. Victor seeks out a mysterious old alchemist who sends Victor and his best friend Elizabeth on a dangerous quest to find three rare ingredients needed to create the Elixir of Life, a fabled serum that will give the drinker perpetual health. There are betrayals along the way and a love triangle between Victor, Elizabeth and Konrad. The book is full of insider references involving Mary Shelley and her original Frankenstein novel, and sets up the subsequent storyline for that famous tale. I’m told that Universal–which has plans to remake its classic Frankenstein film with Guillermo del Toro–was also interested, but Summit’s exec team swooped in. ICM repped the film rights for lit agent Writer’s House.
Summit Books Frankenstein Origin Tale 'This Dark Endeavor'
What's Hot on Deadline
NBC Orders 'The Handmade Project' Crafts Competition Reality Series Hosted By Amy Poehler & Nick Offerman
Latest Film News
- Ashton Holmes Joins Bruce Willis In ‘Acts of Violence’
- ‘The Tracking Of A Russian Spy’: Logan Lerman & Olivia Cooke Near Deals To Star
- Oscar Academy Keeping PwC Despite Envelope Snafu
- Universal CinemaCon Session: ‘Despicable Me 3’, ‘Atomic Blonde’, ‘Girl Trip’, ‘Fate Of The Furious…
- Oscar Isaac In Final Negotiations To Star And Produce MGM’s ‘Operation Finale’ For Director Chris Weitz
- Universal Sneaks ‘Fate Of The Furious’ At CinemaCon; Vin Diesel Praises Exhibition & Gets Emotional About Late…