EXCLUSIVE: Summit Entertainment has acquired screen rights to This Dark Endeavor: The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein, a novel by Kenneth Oppel. Summit’s Twilight Saga producer Karen Rosenfelt is aboard to produce. The novel will be published by Simon & Schuster in the summer. The action adventure surrounds young Victor Frankenstein and his attempt to save his twin brother, Konrad, who falls gravely ill. Victor seeks out a mysterious old alchemist who sends Victor and his best friend Elizabeth on a dangerous quest to find three rare ingredients needed to create the Elixir of Life, a fabled serum that will give the drinker perpetual health. There are betrayals along the way and a love triangle between Victor, Elizabeth and Konrad. The book is full of insider references involving Mary Shelley and her original Frankenstein novel, and sets up the subsequent storyline for that famous tale. I’m told that Universal–which has plans to remake its classic Frankenstein film with Guillermo del Toro–was also interested, but Summit’s exec team swooped in. ICM repped the film rights for lit agent Writer’s House.
Summit Books Frankenstein Origin Tale 'This Dark Endeavor'
What's Hot on Deadline
Bill Cosby Found Guilty In Sexual Assault Retrial, Lashes Out In Court After Verdict; Defense Plans Appeal - Update
'Suits' Finale: Series Creator On Patrick J. Adams & Meghan Markle's Exits, New Twist, Season 8 & Spinoff Details
Latest Film News
- STX Entertainment Files For Hong Kong Stock Exchange Listing
- ‘Diane’, ‘Island Of The Hungry Ghosts’, Alia Shawkat & Jeffrey Wright Among Tribeca Winners
- Aussie Movie Theater Plays ‘Hereditary’ Horror Movie Trailer Before ‘Peter Rabbit’
- Lionsgate Closes Out CinemaCon With ‘Robin Hood’, ‘A Simple Favor’, ‘Blindspotting…
- Tribeca Bow 'Disobedience' Hits Theaters; Claire Denis & Juliette Binoche 'Let The Sunshine In' – Specialty…
- Timur Bekmambetov Wants His $800,000 Before Weinstein’s ‘The Current War’ Is Auctioned In Bankruptcy