The Slumdog Millionaire actress starts shooting an Indian version of the classic Thomas Hardy tragic novel on location in Rajasthan and Mumbai on February 28th. Riz Ahmed (Four Lions) will co-star as the son of a wealthy property developer who falls for the daughter of an auto rickshaw driver. Trishna will be directed by Michael Winterbottom (A Mighty Heart). Sales agent Bankside has begun selling the film in Berlin. This is the 3rd time that Michael Winterbottom has turned to author Thomas Hardy for his source material. First he made Jude (1996), starring Kate Winslet and Christopher Eccleston, then he made The Claim (2000), a Klondike version of The Mayor of Casterbridge. Winterbottom’s producer partner Andrew Eaton tells me that Winterbottom has always been a big Hardy fan. He made a short at university based on the pig-sticking scene in Jude The Obscure and then got to film it for real 10 years later. This is the 7th time that Hardy’s tragedy has been filmed – most famously Roman Polanski’s Tess, which starred Natassia Kinski as the trusting servant girl who’s abused by the men around her.
'Slumdog' Star Freida Pinto Now Indian ‘Tess’
What's Hot on Deadline
Billy Bob Thornton, Carla Juri & Charlie Hunnam Join Aaron Taylor-Johnson In 'A Million Little Pieces'
Robert Redford Slams Harvey Weinstein, Declares Hollywood "Tipping Point" During Sundance Opening Presser
Latest Film News
- Peter Mayle Dies; ‘A Year In Provence’ & ‘A Good Year’ Author Was 78
- Colin Firth Refuses To Work With Woody Allen In The Future
- Bradford Dillman Dies: Star Of Broadway, Film And TV Was 87
- Morgan Neville On His Mister Rogers Sundance Docu, New Netflix Series & Civility
- A New Day For Sundance Ride-Share Post-Uber Helicopter Fiasco As Lyft Pulls In
- Netflix Seals Deal For ‘Sierra Burgess Is A Loser’