The Slumdog Millionaire actress starts shooting an Indian version of the classic Thomas Hardy tragic novel on location in Rajasthan and Mumbai on February 28th. Riz Ahmed (Four Lions) will co-star as the son of a wealthy property developer who falls for the daughter of an auto rickshaw driver. Trishna will be directed by Michael Winterbottom (A Mighty Heart). Sales agent Bankside has begun selling the film in Berlin. This is the 3rd time that Michael Winterbottom has turned to author Thomas Hardy for his source material. First he made Jude (1996), starring Kate Winslet and Christopher Eccleston, then he made The Claim (2000), a Klondike version of The Mayor of Casterbridge. Winterbottom’s producer partner Andrew Eaton tells me that Winterbottom has always been a big Hardy fan. He made a short at university based on the pig-sticking scene in Jude The Obscure and then got to film it for real 10 years later. This is the 7th time that Hardy’s tragedy has been filmed – most famously Roman Polanski’s Tess, which starred Natassia Kinski as the trusting servant girl who’s abused by the men around her.
'Slumdog' Star Freida Pinto Now Indian ‘Tess’
What's Hot on Deadline
Arnold Schwarzenegger To Trump: "Send An Unequivocal Message That You Won't Stand For Hate And Racism"
After Horrific Summer At Box Office, 'It' Will Bring Life To Fall Marketplace With Potential $60M Opening
Latest Film News
- Hollywood Reacts Fast To Steve Bannon Axing: Rosie O’Donnell Suggests Place For Tiki Torch
- Foul Play Alleged In New York SAG-AFTRA Board Race
- ‘The Hitman’s Bodyguard’ Review: Odd-Couple Pairing Of Ryan Reynolds & Samuel L. Jackson Leads To Violent, Scattershot…
- Jessie T. Usher Tapped As Son Of Shaft; Samuel L. Jackson, Richard Roundtree Reprise
- Emmy Predictions: Actor In A Limited Series Or Movie
- ‘Marjorie Prime’ Arrives With Awards Hopes; ‘Patti Cake$’ Bows – Specialty B.O. Preview