After dropping out of the Alfonso Cuaron-directed Gravity, word is Robert Downey Jr is eyeing Inherent Vice, an adaptation of the Thomas Pynchon mystery novel. Downey would play Larry “Doc” Sportello, a private eye based in Los Angeles in the late 1960s. He’s a believer in the psychedelic free-love era, and his case involves an ex-girlfriend, her real estate billionaire boyfriend and a kidnapping. Downey is next booked to star in Iron Man 3, and has given his blessing to his Kiss Kiss Bang Bang director Shane Black to replace Jon Favreau. Not surprisingly, there was no comment from Downey’s camp. CAA will piece together the funding for Anderson’s next film, and the director likes to be discreet about them. He had been attached to direct The Master, with his Boogie Nights buddy Phil Seymour Hoffman attached to play a guy who hatches a belief system that mushrooms into a religion, and Jeremy Renner was eyeing the role of his right-hand man. Reese Witherspoon was also in the loop. That project got dropped by Universal, which choked on a $35 million budget, but a combination of Warner Bros and Cross Creek Pictures and another financier was in place to fund a streamlined version of the picture. Stay tuned. Downey just wrapped the Sherlock Holmes sequel at Warner Bros.
Robert Downey Jr. Eyeing Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice?'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Breaks More Records: $108M Second Weekend Is Second-Best Ever As Marvel Movie Heads For $400M
Berlin Film Festival Winners: 'Touch Me Not' Is Golden Bear; Wes Anderson Takes Best Director For 'Isle Of Dogs' - Full List
Latest Film News
- Sridevi Kapoor Dies: Bollywood Superstar In Multiple Languages Was 54
- 'Guardians Vol. 2' VFX Supervisor On All-New Rocket The Raccoon & Pic's Spectacular Credits Sequence
- Berlin Film Festival Winners: ‘Touch Me Not’ Is Golden Bear; Wes Anderson Takes Best Director For ‘Isle Of Dogs’…
- ‘The Shape Of Water’s Guillermo Del Toro On The “Biggest Missing Piece” Co-Writer Vanessa Taylor Brought To…
- ‘The Shape Of Water’ Sound Teams On The Sonic Dimension To Creature Creation
- ‘Fifty Shades Freed’ Cuffs $300M+ At WW Box Office; Franchise Tops $1.25B