After dropping out of the Alfonso Cuaron-directed Gravity, word is Robert Downey Jr is eyeing Inherent Vice, an adaptation of the Thomas Pynchon mystery novel. Downey would play Larry “Doc” Sportello, a private eye based in Los Angeles in the late 1960s. He’s a believer in the psychedelic free-love era, and his case involves an ex-girlfriend, her real estate billionaire boyfriend and a kidnapping. Downey is next booked to star in Iron Man 3, and has given his blessing to his Kiss Kiss Bang Bang director Shane Black to replace Jon Favreau. Not surprisingly, there was no comment from Downey’s camp. CAA will piece together the funding for Anderson’s next film, and the director likes to be discreet about them. He had been attached to direct The Master, with his Boogie Nights buddy Phil Seymour Hoffman attached to play a guy who hatches a belief system that mushrooms into a religion, and Jeremy Renner was eyeing the role of his right-hand man. Reese Witherspoon was also in the loop. That project got dropped by Universal, which choked on a $35 million budget, but a combination of Warner Bros and Cross Creek Pictures and another financier was in place to fund a streamlined version of the picture. Stay tuned. Downey just wrapped the Sherlock Holmes sequel at Warner Bros.
Robert Downey Jr. Eyeing Paul Thomas Anderson's 'Inherent Vice?'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Tomorrowland' Bows Overseas With $26.7M, 'Ultron' Dominates With $45.8M, 'Mad Max' Adds $38.2M, 'Spy' Nabs $12.5M
Cannes Winners: The French Did Well, The Italians Didn't - But Who's Complaining After Cinema's World Cup?
TLC "Deeply Saddened" As It Pulls All Episodes of '19 Kids And Counting' In Wake Of Child Molestation Allegations - Update
Hot Cannes 'Circle' Package Imperiled As Alicia Vikander In Talks To Star In 'Assassin's Creed', New 'Bourne' Film
Latest Film News
- Cannes Winners: The French Did Well, The Italians Didn’t – But Who’s Complaining After Cinema’s World…
- Anne Meara Dies; Actress, Comedian Of Stiller Family Was 85
- Cannes: Audiard’s ‘Dheepan’ Wins Palme D’Or At Emotional, Musical Ceremony – Update
- Mathematician John Nash, Subject Of ‘A Beautiful Mind’, Dies In Car Crash
- Bart & Fleming: Girl Power Pics, Cate Blanchett, Melissa McCarthy, Suzanne Somers And Disney Self-Absorption
- Memorial Day B.O. Runs Cold: ‘Tomorrowland’ Is No Flying Car With $40.7M Bow – Second Sunday Update