Participant Media has set the 2011 Sundance Film Festival Audience Award winner Circumstance to be distributed domestically by Roadside Attractions. Participant acquired the Maryam Keshavarz-directed drama during the festival, and now the film is on track to be distributed theatrically during the summer. The film is set in contemporary Iran, where a wealthy family struggles to contain a teen’s growing sexual rebellion and relationship with another girl, while her brother grows into a dangerous militant. Keshavarz, who has been outspoken on the 6-year prison sentence given Jafar Panahi and Muhamad Rasoulof, shot the film in Lebanon because she feared its controversial subject matter might endanger her crew.
Roadside Attractions Lands Sundance Pic 'Circumstance'
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office Friday: 'Guardians' Tops 2014; 'As Above/So Below' Nabs No. 3; 'Cantinflas' Es Excelente!
More From Fleming Jr
- Not So Fast On 'Hey Ho, Let's Go'
- 'Sons Of Anarchy's Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie's Choice For King Arthur
- Dark Day For Civility In Trade Journalism
- Steve Carell Reunites With Julianne Moore In 'Freeheld'
- Paradigm Signs Joe Johnston
- Sony Pictures Locks Tom Hanks, Ron Howard For April 'Inferno' Start