French actress Maria Schneider, who ultimately came to disdain her most famous role as Marlon Brando’s young and sexy lover in Last Tango In Paris, has died this morning after a long illness. She was 58. According to news reports, French Culture Minister Frederic Mitterand called Schneider “a great artist”. The daughter of French actor Daniel Gelin and a Parisian bookshop owner, Schneider was only 19 when she was cast opposite the 48-year-old Brando in 1972’s Last Tango In Paris which caused controversy for its full-body sexual content. Afterwards, the actress made no secret of her dislike for having been “manipulated” into making the movie and vowed not to appear in a nude scene ever again. Although Schneider appeared opposite Jack Nicholson in The Passenger in 1975, and in Jane Eyre in 1996, her subsequent acting career consisted mostly of low-budget European films.
R.I.P. Maria Schneider
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Breaks More Records: $108M Second Weekend Is Second-Best Ever As Marvel Movie Heads For $400M
Berlin Film Festival Winners: 'Touch Me Not' Is Golden Bear; Wes Anderson Takes Best Director For 'Isle Of Dogs' - Full List
'Black Panther' Runs Past $300M Offshore, $700M WW; 'Red Sea' Rises In China - International Box Office
CNN's Brian Stelter Blasts Pirro-President Chat As "Fantasyland", Glenn Beck Calls Tapper's Town Hall "Grotesque"
Latest Film News
- 'Operation Red Sea' Tops Newcomers; 'The Shape of Water' Crosses $55M – Specialty Box Office
- ‘Black Panther’ Runs Past $300M Offshore, $700M WW; ‘Red Sea’ Rises In China – International…
- Sridevi Kapoor Dies: Bollywood Superstar In Multiple Languages Was 54
- 'Guardians Vol. 2' VFX Supervisor On All-New Rocket Raccoon & Pic's Spectacular Credits Sequence
- Berlin Film Festival Winners: ‘Touch Me Not’ Is Golden Bear; Wes Anderson Takes Best Director For ‘Isle Of Dogs’…
- ‘The Shape Of Water’s Guillermo Del Toro On The “Biggest Missing Piece” Co-Writer Vanessa Taylor Brought To…