EXCLUSIVE: Paul King, whose first film Bunny and the Bull was picked up by IFC for the States, is directing this adaptation of Eva Ibbotson’s children’s book for BBC Films. A writer himself, King has adapted Paddington Bear for Harry Potter producer David Heyman and Warner Bros. Before that he directed the cult BBC comedy series The Mighty Boosh, which is also being turned into a movie. Enda Walsh (Chatroom) is writing the screenplay for Island of the Aunts, a Road Dahl-esque story about three aunts who go around kidnapping unhappy children and bringing them back to an island where they will be loved. This BBC Films project marks the second time Ibbotson, who died last October, is being adapted for the screen. Affinity International plans to begin selling The Great Ghost Rescue, taken from another Ibbotson book, in earnest once the film’s finished next month. Jason Isaacs (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows), Kevin McKidd (Percy Jackson & The Olympians) and Emma Fielding (The Other Man) star in The Great Ghost Rescue for director Yann Samuel. Independent Talent reps King, while Walsh is repped by Curtis Brown.
Paul King To Direct ‘Island Of the Aunts’
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Breaks More Records: $108M Second Weekend Is Second-Best Ever As Marvel Movie Heads For $400M
CNN's Brian Stelter Blasts Pirro-President Chat As "Fantasyland", Glenn Beck Calls Tapper's Town Hall "Grotesque"
Berlin Film Festival Winners: 'Touch Me Not' Is Golden Bear; Wes Anderson Takes Best Director For 'Isle Of Dogs' - Full List
'Black Panther' Runs Past $300M Offshore, $700M WW; 'Red Sea' Rises In China - International Box Office
Latest Film News
- 'Operation Red Sea' Tops Newcomers; 'The Shape of Water' Crosses $55M – Specialty Box Office
- ‘Black Panther’ Runs Past $300M Offshore, $700M WW; ‘Red Sea’ Rises In China – International…
- Sridevi Kapoor Dies: Bollywood Superstar In Multiple Languages Was 54
- 'Guardians Vol. 2' VFX Supervisor On All-New Rocket Raccoon & Pic's Spectacular Credits Sequence
- Berlin Film Festival Winners: ‘Touch Me Not’ Is Golden Bear; Wes Anderson Takes Best Director For ‘Isle Of Dogs’…
- ‘The Shape Of Water’s Guillermo Del Toro On The “Biggest Missing Piece” Co-Writer Vanessa Taylor Brought To…