EXCLUSIVE: Paul King, whose first film Bunny and the Bull was picked up by IFC for the States, is directing this adaptation of Eva Ibbotson’s children’s book for BBC Films. A writer himself, King has adapted Paddington Bear for Harry Potter producer David Heyman and Warner Bros. Before that he directed the cult BBC comedy series The Mighty Boosh, which is also being turned into a movie. Enda Walsh (Chatroom) is writing the screenplay for Island of the Aunts, a Road Dahl-esque story about three aunts who go around kidnapping unhappy children and bringing them back to an island where they will be loved. This BBC Films project marks the second time Ibbotson, who died last October, is being adapted for the screen. Affinity International plans to begin selling The Great Ghost Rescue, taken from another Ibbotson book, in earnest once the film’s finished next month. Jason Isaacs (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows), Kevin McKidd (Percy Jackson & The Olympians) and Emma Fielding (The Other Man) star in The Great Ghost Rescue for director Yann Samuel. Independent Talent reps King, while Walsh is repped by Curtis Brown.
Paul King To Direct ‘Island Of the Aunts’
What's Hot on Deadline
'Beauty And The Beast' Nears $700M WW; 'Kong' Has Mighty $72M China Bow, Tops $250M Offshore - International Box Office
Sean Spicer Insists Donald Trump Plugged Judge Jeanine's Show Only Because He Is Fan, "Plain And Simple"
'American Horror Story' At Paley Fest: Is Sarah Paulson's Supreme 'Coven' Character Returning In Season 7?
Latest Film News
- No. 10 ‘Suicide Squad’ Box Office Profits – 2016 Most Valuable Movie Blockbuster Tournament
- Lionsgate Teams With Roadside For Jake Gyllenhaal Boston Marathon Bombing Drama ‘Stronger’; September Bow Planned
- WGA Members Still Paying For Last Strike
- More Films Are Now Released Than Rated: Just A Blip, Or Digital Disruption?
- Bart & Fleming: Johnny Depp, Natalie Portman Drive Tempting Packages As Strike Talk Looms
- George Lucas Family Foundation Donates An Additional $10M To USC In Support of Student Diversity