American Idol alumna-turned-actress Katharine McPhee has landed a co-starring role in the NBC hourlong pilot Smash, which will feature the Idol Season 5 runner-up sing. The pilot, from DreamWorks TV and UMS, is based on an idea by Steven Spielberg and follows a cross section of characters who come together to put on a Marilyn Monroe musical on Broadway led by the musical’s composer Tom and lyricist Julia (Debra Messing). McPhee will play a beautiful struggling actress who goes to all lengths to book the role of Marilyn Monroe in the musical. Also recently cast in the pilot, written by Theresa Rebeck and to be directed by Michael Mayer, are Jack Davenport and Megan Hilty. McPhee, repped by Gersh and the Schiff Co., made her TV pilot debut last season with NBC’s half-hour The Pink House. She will next be seen in the romantic comedy You May Not Kiss the Bride
Katharine McPhee Joins NBC Pilot 'Smash'
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- 'CSI' Order Trimmed: Is This The End?
- Kelly McCreary Upped To Regular On 'Grey's Anatomy'
- Kyle Killen Inks First-Look Deal With Paramount TV
- Netflix Series From 'Damages' Creators Unveils Title, First Teaser: Video
- Colin Callender's Playground Names Louise Pedersen UK Managing Director
- 'Frankenstein' Drama From Rand Ravich & Howard Gordon Set At Fox As Put Pilot