James Franco isn’t the only awards show host this weekend who has bagged a big film role. Joel McHale, who tomorrow hosts the 2011 Film Independent Spirit Awards, is in final negotiations to join Mark Walhberg, Mila Kunis and Seth Macfarlane in Ted, the live action comedy that MacFarlane is directing for Universal Pictures and Media Rights Capital. McHale will play Rex, the sleazy boss who is perpetually putting the moves on his employee (Kunis). She wants to marry her boyfriend (Wahlberg), but won’t until he redefines his relationship with his teddy bear, the one that came alive during a childhood wish and has become a slovenly womanizing slacker. McHale, star of NBC’s comedy Community, also continues to host E!’s The Soup. Additionally, McHale has three films coming out in 2011: The Big Year opposite Steve Martin, Jack Black and Owen Wilson; What’s Your Number? with Anna Faris; and Robert Rodriguez’s Spy Kids reboot opposite Jessica Alba. He is repped by WME and Sonesta Entertainment.
Spirit Awards Host Joel McHale Joins Seth MacFarlane's 'Ted'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Chris Hemsworth & Michael Shannon Saddle Up For Black Label Media’s ‘Horse Soldiers’
- Oscars & The New York Film Festival: How Will The Big Apple Event Affect The Race?
- Ralph Macchio Pic ‘Lost Cat Corona’ Acquired By Virgil Films; Cinelicious Pics Nabs ‘Dark Night’
- Paulo Coelho’s ‘The Alchemist’ Movie To Be Made By TriStar & PalmStar
- Ioan Gruffudd Joins Mel Gibson & Sean Penn For ‘The Professor And The Madman’
- Shirley Jones And Robert Wagner Join ‘Together’ With Paul Duddridge At Helm