During its earnings call today, Discovery Communications said that it will invest an additional $50 million in OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network, earmarked to boost the fledgling network’s original programming. The new cash infusion into OWN is on top of the $100 million originally invested in the joint venture between Discovery and Winfrey’s Harpo and the extra $89 million committed last summer. Discovery brass noted that OWN’s viewership in its first month was more than 30% higher than that of its predecessor Discovery Health. (However, OWN recently dropped below Discovery Health in some ratings categories). Discovery Communications president and CEO David Zaslav said he was “very encouraged” by OWN’s outlook and expects ratings to pick up as Winfrey switches to the channel full-time after the end of her syndicated show and with the launch of Rosie O’Donnell’s daily talk show in the fall.
Discovery Communications To Invest $50 Million More In OWN Original Programming
Trending Now on Deadline
Ryan Murphy & His 'Glee' Co-Creators Get Fox Series Order For Comedy-Horror Anthology 'Scream Queens'
Alamo Drafthouse's Tim League: Make A Place For Christopher Nolan, Quentin Tarantino, And Film Stock In Digital Future
More From Andreeva
- Leslie Jones Named 'Saturday Night Live' Cast Member
- Rainn Wilson To Produce Comedy Starring Vine Favorites, Including Curtis Lepore & Jerry Purpdrank
- Wanda Sykes Signs With UTA
- Literary Manager Stephen Marks Exits Evolution For Rain Management Group
- 'Chrisley Knows Best' Picked Up For Season 3, Holiday Special By USA