During its earnings call today, Discovery Communications said that it will invest an additional $50 million in OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network, earmarked to boost the fledgling network’s original programming. The new cash infusion into OWN is on top of the $100 million originally invested in the joint venture between Discovery and Winfrey’s Harpo and the extra $89 million committed last summer. Discovery brass noted that OWN’s viewership in its first month was more than 30% higher than that of its predecessor Discovery Health. (However, OWN recently dropped below Discovery Health in some ratings categories). Discovery Communications president and CEO David Zaslav said he was “very encouraged” by OWN’s outlook and expects ratings to pick up as Winfrey switches to the channel full-time after the end of her syndicated show and with the launch of Rosie O’Donnell’s daily talk show in the fall.
Discovery Communications To Invest $50 Million More In OWN Original Programming
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Aquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over
- Enver Gjokaj & Chad Michael Murray Cast In ABC Series 'Marvel's Agent Carter'
- ABC Nabs Medical Drama From David Marshall Grant & Vendetta As Put Pilot