During its earnings call today, Discovery Communications said that it will invest an additional $50 million in OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network, earmarked to boost the fledgling network’s original programming. The new cash infusion into OWN is on top of the $100 million originally invested in the joint venture between Discovery and Winfrey’s Harpo and the extra $89 million committed last summer. Discovery brass noted that OWN’s viewership in its first month was more than 30% higher than that of its predecessor Discovery Health. (However, OWN recently dropped below Discovery Health in some ratings categories). Discovery Communications president and CEO David Zaslav said he was “very encouraged” by OWN’s outlook and expects ratings to pick up as Winfrey switches to the channel full-time after the end of her syndicated show and with the launch of Rosie O’Donnell’s daily talk show in the fall.
Discovery Communications To Invest $50 Million More In OWN Original Programming
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- 'Saturday Night Live' Ratings On Par In Households, Slip In Demo With Host Cameron Diaz
- SVP Alternative Among Several Eliminated Positions At CW As Part Of TW Layoffs
- Nora Arnezeder To Co-Star In 'Zoo'; Christian Campbell Joins 'True Detective'
- Paul Dano To Co-Star In Steve McQueen's HBO Pilot 'Codes Of Conduct'
- 'Jump Start' Comic Strip To Be Adapted As Family Comedy For Fox
- Resolution's Cynthia Booth & Emma Lewis Join Don Buchwald & Associates