Performance artist /graffiti painter /political activist Banksy is supposedly the director of the film Exit Through The Gift Shop nominated for the Best Documentary Feature Oscar. Internet reports all week have claimed he is banned from attending the awards in disguise (he wanted to come dressed as a monkey). But Academy president Tom Sherak tells me in an interview that’s not true. Noting how competitive almost all the categories are this year, including Documentary, Sherak said, “The media is making it exciting with all the questions about Banksy. I think it’s all good and if he shows up, he shows up. I won’t stop him.”
Academy's Tom Sherak Welcomes Banksy
What's Hot on Deadline
DC Digital Service To Launch With 'Titans' Series From Greg Berlanti & Akiva Goldsman And 'Young Justice: Outsiders'
Trevor Noah On Trump Ignoring First 100 Days: If Voters Chose The Number They Preferred "You Wouldn’t Be In The White House”
'Bates Motel' Shuts Its Doors With Bloody Series Finale; Will Other Hitchcock Pics Find Their Way To TV?
Latest Awardsline News
- CNN, CBS, NPR, Local NBC Stations Among Final 11 Peabody Winners
- An Oscar Winner & A 72-Year-Old Neurologist-Turned-Filmmaker Combine For Festival’s Most Unique Movie…
- ‘Feud’: Charles And Diana Season 2 “Begins With Divorce Papers,” Says EP Ryan Murphy
- Kevin James On The Joys Of TV Over Film With ‘Kevin Can Wait’ – Emmys
- Deadline’s TV Talk Podcast Episode #1: Hammond & Patten On Emmy Kickoff & A Potential Writers Strike
- Tony Awards Announce 2017 Honors For Excellence