Kevin Smith is already challenging established acquisition protocol by trying to auction distribution rights in the Eccles Theater right after Sunday’s Sundance premiere of Red State. Some buyers say that gimmicky play isn’t what’s annoying them most. They’re especially peeved that the film’s 6:30 start coincides with what will likely be the beginning of the fourth quarter of the AFC Championship Game between the New York Jets and Pittsburgh Steelers. A lot of indie distribution executives hail from New York and New Jersey (as does Smith), and they’ve waited a long time to see the Jets get into a Super Bowl. How’s that for bad timing?
Will Kevin Smith's 'Red State' Auction Be Tackled By Jets-Steelers?
What's Hot on Deadline
'Pretty Little Liars' Spinoff 'The Perfectionists' Starring Sasha Pieterse & Janel Parrish Gets Freeform Pilot Order
'Saturday Night Live' Taps Heidi Gardner, Luke Null & Chris Redd As New Cast Members, Adds 7 Writers For Season 43
Latest Film News
- ‘13 Reasons Why’s Anne Winters Joins ‘Night School’; ‘Trial By Fire’ Adds Jade Pettyjohn
- Oriental DreamWorks Names Peilin Chou As CCO; Designs Robust Animation Slate
- WME Signs ‘Five Fingers For Marseilles’ Duo Michael Matthews & Sean Drummond
- Leonardo DiCaprio & Martin Scorsese Ride Again On Teddy Roosevelt Pic At Paramount
- ‘A Country Of Strangers,’ Black List Script To Be Produced By Phoenix Pictures
- Rosa Parks Movie Focused On Her Early Activism In Works From Director Julie Dash & Invisible Pictures