Kevin Smith is already challenging established acquisition protocol by trying to auction distribution rights in the Eccles Theater right after Sunday’s Sundance premiere of Red State. Some buyers say that gimmicky play isn’t what’s annoying them most. They’re especially peeved that the film’s 6:30 start coincides with what will likely be the beginning of the fourth quarter of the AFC Championship Game between the New York Jets and Pittsburgh Steelers. A lot of indie distribution executives hail from New York and New Jersey (as does Smith), and they’ve waited a long time to see the Jets get into a Super Bowl. How’s that for bad timing?
Will Kevin Smith's 'Red State' Auction Be Tackled By Jets-Steelers?
What's Hot on Deadline
'NCIS' Current & Former Cast & Crew Remember Gary Glasberg: "Our Rock, Our Cheerleader, Our Team Captain" - Update
Latest Film News
- ‘Nerdland’ Acquired By Samuel Goldwyn Films For December Bow
- Fox 2000 Buying Hitchcockian Thriller Novel ‘The Woman In The Window’
- ‘True Memoirs Of An International Assassin’ Trailer: Kevin James Wrote The Book On Faux Killer
- Johnny Depp To Star in ‘Murder On The Orient Express’ At Fox
- Sundance Israeli Settlers Docu Lands At Bond/360; XLrator & Blue Fox Ink Pre-AFM Deal
- Open Road Hires Paramount Exec Lejo Pet To Head Acquisitions