Kevin Smith is already challenging established acquisition protocol by trying to auction distribution rights in the Eccles Theater right after Sunday’s Sundance premiere of Red State. Some buyers say that gimmicky play isn’t what’s annoying them most. They’re especially peeved that the film’s 6:30 start coincides with what will likely be the beginning of the fourth quarter of the AFC Championship Game between the New York Jets and Pittsburgh Steelers. A lot of indie distribution executives hail from New York and New Jersey (as does Smith), and they’ve waited a long time to see the Jets get into a Super Bowl. How’s that for bad timing?
Will Kevin Smith's 'Red State' Auction Be Tackled By Jets-Steelers?
What's Hot on Deadline
'A Quiet Place' Still Noisy With $21M+; 'I Feel Pretty' $18M; 'Super Troopers 2' Arrests $16M - Saturday Update
'Smallville' Actress Allison Mack Arrested In Sex Trafficking Scheme, Faces 15 Years To Life If Convicted
'Jane the Virgin' Finale': Series Creator On That Shocking Twist, 'Dallas'-Inspired Cliffhanger, Season 5 & Show's Endgame
'Love, Gilda' Director On Meeting Gene Wilder & Why Some Gilda Radner 'SNL' Peers Aren't In The Doc - Tribeca
Nyle DiMarco Went From 'America's Next Top Model' To Broadway Producer: How 'Children Of A Lesser God' Paved The Way
Latest Film News
- ‘Braid’ Clip: A Demented Game Is Afoot In Mitzi Peirone’s Tribeca Thriller
- Verne Troyer Dies: ‘Austin Powers’ Actor Was 49
- The Week In Deadline Video & Podcasts: Maggie Gyllenhaal, Darren Criss, Frankie Shaw
- Katherine Waterston & Michael Shannon Wade Through Grief And Alienation In ‘State Like Sleep’…
- ‘Ready Player One’ Tops $500M Global Box Office, Scores $200M+ In China
- Mechanic’s Resignation Letter Sets The Agenda For An Academy Board Election That Starts Monday