EXCLUSIVE: NBC’s reboot of The Rockford Files is not going forward, at least not for the current development season. The decision was made after writer David Shore couldn’t write a new script because he unexpectedly had to devote his entire attention to his Fox series House. The veteran Fox medical drama had planned an ambitious multi-episode arc featuring Dr. House on the road, which was a brainchild of executive producer Katie Jacobs. But when the arc was scrapped in advanced stages, Shore had to jump in and help re-break stories for a significant portion of the season, which also recently grew larger with an order for one additional episode by Fox. With Shore not being able to focus on Rockford Files, the project has been shelved. It is possible for the idea to be revisited next season if new NBC programming chief Bob Greenblatt is interested. The Rockford Files remake originated last development season at Universal Media Studios and Steve Carell’s studio-based Carousel. (UMS also produces House, which probably made things easier.) The reboot, written and executive produced by Shore, was picked up to pilot but didn’t make the cut for a series order in May. It was subsequently put in re-development, with Peter Berg and Sarah Aubrey’s Film 44 joining in the summer as a co-production entity.
'Rockford Files' Closed For Now At NBC
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fate Of The Furious' Drives Five Wide Releases Off The Road With $38M+ Second Weekend - Sat. PM Update
'The Fate Of The Furious' Expected To Cross $750M Internationally For Uni Record, $1B Worldwide Next Week
'Gilbert' Subject Gilbert Gottfried On Seeing His Personal Life Portrayed On Screen: "This Could Be What Hell Is"
Latest TV News
- Erin Moran Dies: ‘Happy Days’ Actress Was 56
- New Caitlyn Jenner Interview Brings ’20/20′ Ratings Down, ‘Dateline’ Rises
- Donald Trump Plans Rally For Night Of White House Correspondents’ Dinner
- ‘Rise’, ‘For God And Country’ Get Closer To NBC Series Pickups With Staffing Offers
- ‘Feud’: Charles And Diana Season 2 “Begins With Divorce Papers,” Says EP Ryan Murphy
- Bill Maher Tells Donald Trump To Forget Mars, “Make Earth Great Again”