EXCLUSIVE: NBC’s reboot of The Rockford Files is not going forward, at least not for the current development season. The decision was made after writer David Shore couldn’t write a new script because he unexpectedly had to devote his entire attention to his Fox series House. The veteran Fox medical drama had planned an ambitious multi-episode arc featuring Dr. House on the road, which was a brainchild of executive producer Katie Jacobs. But when the arc was scrapped in advanced stages, Shore had to jump in and help re-break stories for a significant portion of the season, which also recently grew larger with an order for one additional episode by Fox. With Shore not being able to focus on Rockford Files, the project has been shelved. It is possible for the idea to be revisited next season if new NBC programming chief Bob Greenblatt is interested. The Rockford Files remake originated last development season at Universal Media Studios and Steve Carell’s studio-based Carousel. (UMS also produces House, which probably made things easier.) The reboot, written and executive produced by Shore, was picked up to pilot but didn’t make the cut for a series order in May. It was subsequently put in re-development, with Peter Berg and Sarah Aubrey’s Film 44 joining in the summer as a co-production entity.
'Rockford Files' Closed For Now At NBC
What's Hot on Deadline
'SNL': Anderson Cooper Addresses White House Firings; John Goodman & Fred Armisen Make Surprise Visits
Ellen Barkin Says "Never Get Into An Elevator Alone With Terry Gilliam" After His Criticism Of #MeToo Movement
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
Director Terry Gilliam Says #MeToo "Got Silly", "Monster" Harvey Weinstein "Opened The Door" For Some
Latest TV News
- ‘SNL’: Anderson Cooper Addresses White House Firings; John Goodman & Fred Armisen Make Surprise Visits
- ‘Will & Grace’ Cast React To Season 3 Renewal; Talk Favorite Guest Stars
- ‘Will & Grace’ Revival Renewed For Season 3 By NBC, Season 2 Expanded
- ‘Harry & Meghan’ Teaser: First Look At The Lifetime Royal Romance
- ‘Scandal’ Wraps Production Of Series Finale In A Blaze Of Social-Media Glory
- NCAA Nabs Friday’s Top Spot, ‘MasterChef Junior’ Strong, ‘Taken’ Grabs Season High Crowd