In its first night of primetime on Jan.1, OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network averaged 1 million viewers, a respectable number, especially on a holiday Saturday night. On Day 2, the co-venture between Oprah’s Harpo and Discovery Communications, drew a primetime average of 822,000 viewers, a 18% drop from premiere night. That was still a dramatic improvement over the channel OWN replaced, Discovery Health, which averaged 252,000 viewers in primetime last year. (But with a price tag of $200 million, OWN had been under pressure to perform right out of the gate.) What is the biggest draw on the new network so far? Oprah’s old syndicated show. The two-hour debut of Season 25: Oprah Behind the Scenes, which chronicles the final season of Oprah’s daytime talk show, was the most watched OWN program in the first 2 days, posting a 1.2 million viewers at 8 PM on Jan.1 and propelling OWN to third place in the time period among all cable networks in women 25-54. Surprisingly, the most hyped new OWN series, Oprah Presents Master Class, in which the talk show host profiles successful artists, journalists and entrepreneurs, was the lowest-rated program so far by a wide margin, averaging 602,000 viewers for the premiere episode featuring Jay-Z on Jan.2. OWN is available in 67% of U.S. homes and 80% of cable homes.
OK Start For Oprah's OWN Cable Network
What's Hot on Deadline
Sony Pictures Confirms Quentin Tarantino Deal; Margot Robbie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio Circling
Jeffrey Tambor Accused By 'Transparent' Actress Of Sexual Harassment; Actor Admits "Flaws," Says "Misinterpreted"
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
'The Royals' Female Cast & Crew Members Speak Out, Accuse Showrunner Mark Schwahn Of Sexual Harassment
'Justice League' Currently Stumbling With $97M+ Opening: Are 'Wonder' & 'Thor' Cutting Into Business?
Latest TV News
- Liza Koshy To Star In New YouTube Red Comedy Series ‘Liza On Demand’
- ‘The Four’ Fox Reality Competition Sets Sean Combs, DJ Khaled, Meghan Trainor & Charlie Walk As Stars, Gets…
- White House Celebrates Donald Trump For Not Acknowledging Sexual Assault Claims
- ‘Suits’ Spinoff: Simon Kassianides Joins Potential Gina Torres-Toplined Offshoot
- Fox And Viacom Lead Media Stock Rally Sparked By Merger Speculation
- Kat Dennings To Star In Hulu Pilot ‘Dollface’; ‘I, Tonya’s Margot Robbie, Bryan Unkeless Producing