EXCLUSIVE: Nickelodeon has picked up its flagship animated series SpongeBob SquarePants for a ninth season with a 26-episode order, which will push the veteran series over the 200th episode mark. Season 9 is slated to air in 2012. SpongeBob has been TV’s No.1 animated series with kids 2-11 for 10 consecutive years. It also ranks as basic cable’s top animated show in total viewers and as MTV Networks’ most widely distributed property ever with sales in 171 territories. “SpongeBob‘s success in reaching over 200 episodes is a testament to creator Stephen Hillenburg’s vision, comedic sensibility and his dynamic, lovable characters,” said Brown Johnson, President, Animation, Nickelodeon and MTVN Kids and Family Group. SpongeBob creator Hillenburg executive produces the series alongside Paul Tibbitt who has been on the show since after the pilot, serving as a director and writer on for its first three seasons and eventually taking over day-to-day responsibilities from Hillenburg. “We never imagined we would be on for that long but we’re going to keep going,” Tibbitt said. “The trick is to try to keep the episodes funny and simple and press from there.” The Nov. 11 SpongeBob special, Mystery with a Twistery, drew 6.6 million viewers, ranking as the year’s top animated telecast with kids 2-11. The series’ next special, Legends of Bikini Bottom, an hour-long anthology, will premiere on Jan. 28.
Nickelodeon Renews 'SpongeBob SquarePants' For Ninth Season
What's Hot on Deadline
'Parks & Rec' Mike Schur Says "Everybody Knew About Kevin Spacey"; 'Leftovers' Damon Lindelof Regrets Theroux Jokes
'Justice League' Encounters Kryptonite At The B.O. With $96M Opening: Why The DC Movie Weakened - Sunday AM Update
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
'Transparent' Creator Jill Soloway Won't Discuss Jeffrey Tambor Scandal, Advocates Anti-Harassment On-Set Rules
Latest TV News
- ‘SNL’: “Come Back, Barack”, Stay Awhile Pete Davidson & Chance Pays Off
- ‘Transparent’ Creator Jill Soloway Won’t Discuss Jeffrey Tambor Scandal, Advocates Anti-Harassment On-Set Rules
- Saoirse Ronan To Host ‘Saturday Night Live’, With Musical Guest U2
- ‘SNL’: Trump Boys Inherit Dad-Free Spot With “Juilliard Massage” Of “RickiLakes”
- ‘Stranger Things’: Duffer Brothers And Cast Reflect On Season 2, Keep Tight-Lipped On Season 3
- ‘Parks & Rec’ Mike Schur Says “Everybody Knew About Kevin Spacey”; ‘Leftovers’ Damon Lindelof Regrets Theroux…