ABC had been in negotiations for a 13-episode order to a medical drama set at a military hospital in Afghanistan to run in the summer. The deal for the Canadian/UK co-production has now closed with Daniel Petrie Jr. as executive producer/showrunner. The project, previously known as Combat Hospital, is of now untitled. It is being done with the same Canadian network partner, Canwest, and under the same low-cost financial model as ABC’s cop drama Rookie Blue, which surprisingly became last summer’s top-rated new broadcast scripted series and has been renewed for a second cycle. The new medical drama had already been greenlighted by Canwest with a 13-episode order. The series is being produced by Sienna Films and Artists Studios, along with Look Out Point. It was created by Douglas Steinberg (Psych) and Jinder Chalmers and is set to air in Canada on Global Television, the network that also carries Rookie Blue.
It's Official: ABC Picks Up Canadian/UK Medical Drama Series For Summer
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- SVP Alternative Among Several Eliminated Positions At CW As Part Of TW Layoffs
- Nora Arnezeder To Co-Star In 'Zoo'; Christian Campbell Joins 'True Detective'
- Paul Dano To Co-Star In Steve McQueen's HBO Pilot 'Codes Of Conduct'
- 'Jump Start' Comic Strip To Be Adapted As Family Comedy For Fox
- Resolution's Cynthia Booth & Emma Lewis Join Don Buchwald & Associates
- Tina Fey & Robert Carlock's 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt' Moves From NBC To Netflix With 2-Season Pickup