ABC had been in negotiations for a 13-episode order to a medical drama set at a military hospital in Afghanistan to run in the summer. The deal for the Canadian/UK co-production has now closed with Daniel Petrie Jr. as executive producer/showrunner. The project, previously known as Combat Hospital, is of now untitled. It is being done with the same Canadian network partner, Canwest, and under the same low-cost financial model as ABC’s cop drama Rookie Blue, which surprisingly became last summer’s top-rated new broadcast scripted series and has been renewed for a second cycle. The new medical drama had already been greenlighted by Canwest with a 13-episode order. The series is being produced by Sienna Films and Artists Studios, along with Look Out Point. It was created by Douglas Steinberg (Psych) and Jinder Chalmers and is set to air in Canada on Global Television, the network that also carries Rookie Blue.
It's Official: ABC Picks Up Canadian/UK Medical Drama Series For Summer
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Andreeva
- Raycom Media TV Stations Blacked Out By DirecTV In Carriage Dispute
- ABC Buys Medical Thriller From Janine Sherman Barrois & Aaron Kaplan
- Bob Cooper, EOne Prep Post-Apocalyptic Event Series With Book Acquisition
- Fox Buys Detective Drama Based On Australian Miniseries 'Jack Irish'
- 'The Greatest American Hero' Gets Fox Remake With Phil Lord & Chris Miller
- Jennifer Johnson Exiting 'The Following' As Showrunner, Trio Takes Over