New York Post’s theater columnist Michael Riedel broke a story this morning about Barbra Streisand’s formative plans to star in and direct a screen adaptation of the musical Gypsy. The New York Times’ rival theater guy Patrick Healy has confirmed his report, and expanded it. He says Streisand won’t direct, only star in the arrangement she has reached with Stephen Sondheim and Arthur Laurents. The rights are with Warner Bros, which made the original film, and NYT asserts Joel Silver will be the producer.
In Other Film Deals…
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Aaron Sorkin On Free Speech As Casualty In 'The Interview' Cancellation
- Michael Stuhlbarg Joins Steve Jobs Pic
- North Korea-Based Thriller With Gore Verbinski And Steve Carell Canceled
- Sony Scraps TV Advertising On 'The Interview'
- 'Pontius Pilate' — Sans Brad Pitt — Headed For Jeff Robinov's Studio 8?