A Philadelphia Inquirer report recounts how the Comcast team locked in on FCC Democrat Mignon Clyburn, who joined the commission in 2009 and who was one of the five who eventually decided if Comcast should get NBC Universal. Comcast strategists studied the members of the FCC and came to the conclusion that Clyburn would be a key deciding vote. So in a textbook case of lobbying, they set out to woo her by making constant and repetetive hard promises that the newly-formed media conglomerate would be a kind-and-gentle corporation. It worked, and she cast a ‘yes’ vote. As it was, the final vote was 4-1 in favor of the marriage.
How Comcast Zeroed In On FCC's Mignon Clyburn To Seal NBCU Deal
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Film Arcade And Paramount Team On Romantic Comedy 'Love, Rosie'
- UPDATE: Joan Rivers Remains In Serious Condition Following Thursday Cardiac Arrest
- UPDATE: Abrams Artists & 'Ghost Adventures' Producer End Commissions Dispute
- Wil Wheaton Blogs His Syfy Show Is Toast
- Miranda Mayo Joins 'Pretty Little Liars'; Samm Levine In 'Selfie'