EXCLUSIVE: Joaquin Phoenix is the front-runner to play the mentor who teaches the 16th President how to kill bloodsuckers in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter for 20th Century Fox. Phoenix has met on the project and I’m told that it’s his if he wants it. He would join Benjamin Walker, who last Thursday was set to play the title character in the Timur Bekmambetov-directed adaptation of the Seth Grahame-Smith novel whose producers include Tim Burton. It’s an encouraging sign that the fine actor might be returning to form after a surreal detour in I’m Still Here, the mockumentary directed by his brother-in-law Casey Affleck that purported to be Phoenix’s attempt to build a career as a rapper. While both Phoenix and Affleck initially maintained the docu was legit, they later acknowledged it was an artistic ruse. It was a waste of his considerable talent. From Gladiator, To Die For to We Own the Night and Walk the Line, Phoenix consistently turns in fascinating performances and this is a showy return role. The role is Henry, a mythic, ageless figure who turns Lincoln into an axe-throwing expert slayer of vampires. The pic’s produced by Bekmambetov, Tim Burton and Jim Lemley. Phoenix is cagey and could decide not to go forward. Stay turned to see if his deal makes. WME reps Phoenix.
Honest Abe? Joaquin Phoenix Mulls Acting Return in Fox's 'Lincoln: Vampire Hunter'
What's Hot on Deadline
Gary Oldman Spent 200 Hours In Make-Up Chair To Become Winston Churchill In 'Darkest Hour' -- CinemaCon
Latest Film News
- Jennifer Lawrence Becomes A ‘Red Sparrow’: 20th Century Fox Unveils Intense Spy Trailer At CinemaCon
- Joss Whedon Eyes Batgirl Movie At Warner Bros
- ‘Beauty And The Beast’ Clocks $400M+ Overseas; Global Box Office At $751M
- Annapurna Hiring Spree Results In Full Marketing And Distribution Teams – CinemaCon
- ‘War Machine’ Trailer: Netflix Pic Tracks General Brad Pitt’s Fast Rise & Faster Fall
- Cannes-troversy? Claudia Cardinale On “False Row” Over Fest Poster Retouch